From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Orders Study on Homosexuality

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:05:56 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 13, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY ORDERS STUDY ON HOMOSEXUALITY
01-CWA62-LJG

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
will begin study on homosexuality following a 899-115 vote at the 2001
Churchwide Assembly Aug. 13.  The assembly action calls for a churchwide
study on homosexuality and an action plan for implementation that will
come before the 2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are about 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
      Monday morning discussion about ordination of non-celibate gay
and lesbian persons was tabled until the assembly dealt with the
recommendation on a study of homosexuality.
assembly vote began a process that will create "a study document on
homosexuality for use in congregations, synods, and in sponsored
hearings and focus groups across this church. This document shall
include study of the Lutheran understanding of the Word of God and
biblical, theological, scientific, and practical material on
homosexuality."
     Voting members instructed the ELCA Church Council to implement and
fund a churchwide study on homosexuality that will discuss blessing
same-gender relationships and ordaining non-celibate gay and lesbian
persons.  The motions directs that periodic reports will come to the
ELCA Church Council, and to synod assemblies in 2002, 2003 and 2004,
with a final report to come to the 2005 Churchwide Assembly.
     "This will end 30 years of discussion on the matter," said Craig
Schwartau, ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod.  "And then we can vote on it and
take action at that time."  Some scattered applause followed his remark.
     "We have been waiting for a decision for a long time," said the
Rev. Gary M. Wollersheim, bishop of the Northern Illinois Synod, "This
action calls for a study document, conversations and hearings across the
whole church that includes both questions of blessing of relationships
and ordination, revenue for funding the study, and the process has a
reasonable time line that allows conversation and recognizes the urgency
of the matter."
     The Rev. Ronald H. Rude, ELCA Rocky Mountain Synod, asked, "Does
the Gospel override the Bible?  We need our scholars to tell us what the
Bible says and what the Bible does not say."
     "This is a good, clear request from the church for some in-depth
study of what we believe about homosexuality and how that belief is
formed by theological, scriptural, scientific, and practical material on
homosexuality," said the Rev. Joseph M. Wagner, director of the ELCA
Division for Ministry.
     "It is very encouraging to see our church in assembly struggle
with an issue that is sensitive to everyone, be nervous about that but
not be afraid to take action."
     The ELCA Division for Ministry in cooperation with the ELCA
Division for Church in Society will lead the other groups listed in the
action and be guided by conversation with the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
presiding bishop-elect, and the Church Council, Wagner said.
     Parts of the study have been underway through separate units of
the church, and efforts of the seminaries, and resources already
developed, Wagner said.  "They all will be folded into the mix.  This is
a logical next step to our church's involvement in this issue."
     The assembly action also says: "To respect charitably one another
as we examine our understandings and practices, speaking the truth in
love, practicing the "mutual conversation and consolation of the
brothers and sisters" (Luther, Smalcald Articles, III.4); and to request
that the Division for Ministry, in consultation with the Division for
Congregational Ministries and the Conference of Bishops, identify and
make available materials to assist and support pastors as they provide
pastoral care and counseling for persons concerned with these issues."
     Members of Soulforce, an ecumenical gay rights advocacy group,
stood in a silent line in the back of the assembly hall during the
morning discussions.  Fifty members were arrested across the street from
the convention center for civil disobedience (impeding pedestrian
traffic) after the morning plenary. Their civil disobedience was in
response to the assembly action.
-- -- --
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web Site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: