From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears Greetings from LCMS Secretary

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:17:21 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 14, 2001

ELCA ASSEMBLY HEARS GREETINGS FROM LCMS SECRETARY
01-CWA68-JI

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Dr. Raymond L. Hartwig, secretary of The
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), referred to his church body's
convention actions last month concerning the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) when he brought greetings to the ELCA churchwide
assembly Aug. 13.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are about 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     Hartwig first spoke of  "parallel actions" of this year's LCMS
convention and ELCA churchwide assembly, as each body has discussed and
acted on an array of similar subjects.
     He also elaborated on an LCMS convention resolution that, as he
said, "affirmed the judgement of our late President Barry that we cannot
consider you, the ELCA, to be 'an orthodox Lutheran church body,' given
the fact that you have entered into altar and pulpit fellowship -- that
is 'full communion" -- with Reformed church bodies, the Episcopal Church
and the Moravian Church."
     Dr. A.L. Barry was president of the LCMS at the time of his death
from an antibiotic-resistant staph infection in March.
     The Missouri Synod secretary recounted the words of LCMS
President-elect Gerald Kieschnick following the convention action.  He
quoted Kieschnick that he (Kieschnick) and  LCMS convention delegates
"would ask the good people of the ELCA not to read into this resolution
any sense of smugness or self-righteousness on the part of the Lutheran
Church-Missouri Synod."
     He continued to quote the LCMS president-elect that the convention
action was "out of love" and concern [and] deemed necessary in order to
bring to light the significantly different perspectives our two church
bodies have on certain theological issues and current-day practices."
     "We will continue to be concerned about your willingness to set
aside clear scriptural and confessional principles in other areas as
well," Hartwig said, mentioning issues of ordination, sanctity of human
life and homosexuality.
     Hartwig also recalled that his church body's convention resolved
"to reach out ... in love and support" to ELCA members who "remain
faithful to the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ."
     He again quoted Kieschnick that "the adoption of this resolution
changes nothing about the Missouri Synod's commitment to continued
dialogue with the ELCA, with the very real hope and fervent prayer of
one day resolving the differences that separate us."
     "Please ... hear us out and receive our concerns as they are
intended," Hartwig said.  "We in turn will continue to listen to you."
-- -- --
     Information about assembly action is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: