From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Leaders Address Homosexuality Actions from Assembly

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:03:15 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 14, 2001

ELCA LEADERS ADDRESS HOMOSEXUALITY ACTIONS FROM ASSEMBLY
01-CWA72-LEJG

     INDIANAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Three actions by voting members at the ELCA
Churchwide Assembly on Aug. 13 will focus on examining policies and
beliefs about human sexuality.  Voting members requested a four-year,
comprehensive study on homosexuality and asked for a plan to decide by
2005 on ordaining homosexual persons in committed relationships.  The
assembly also initiated the process for a social statement on human
sexuality.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the Indiana Convention Center.  There
are about 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Sharing Faith in a New Century."
     "A daunting assignment -- not small in any way nor insignificant"
is how the Rev. Joseph M. Wagner, executive director of the ELCA
Division for Ministry described the 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly's
assignment to study homosexuality. The Division for Ministry will be
the lead unit in undertaking the study, and will work cooperatively with
the ELCA Division for Church in Society, the presiding bishop, ELCA
Church Council, ELCA Conference of Bishops and other units of the
church.
     "It's a nervous thing to do, but we're not afraid," said Wagner.
"We have confidence that if we listen to one another's opinions ... all
can be understood and expressed in the context of being faithful and
alive Christians."
     "I think it's possible for people to think that all we talk about
in the ELCA is sexuality and homosexuality," Wagner said.  "It's of more
importance how we teach the Gospel to a rapidly changing secular world;
how we deal with ambiguous questions of ethics and morality in the
world.  This is not our obsession -- [it's] simply a piece of business
we need to take care of."
     "There will be a very serious attempt to have a balanced set of
views on the group that will lead the study, to represent different
perspectives within our church," Wagner said.  The Rev. Charles S.
Miller, director of the ELCA Division for Church in Society noted that a
formal invitation to be part of the committee will be implemented later,
although assembly voting members have been offering names of people they
believe could contribute to the assigned studies.
     While both considerations of homosexuality are to be presented to
the 2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, an action Aug. 13 to initiate the
process of a social statement on human sexuality gave no time line, nor
deadline for either beginning or ending such a process, said Miller.
     "To try to do both [the homosexuality study and the social
statement on human sexuality] in tandem would be almost impossible,"
Miller said.  "Initiating a social statement would require hearings and
focus groups. It is the will of the assembly to do a social statement on
human sexuality, but it is not reasonable to ask church to do both
simultaneously.  It will be later rather than sooner."
     Social statements are the ELCA's most authorative form of social
policy.  As teaching documents they provide guidance, help share the
conscience of Christians, probe for shared convictions, set forth
principles and directions that become policy.  Since 1991 the ELCA has
adopted seven social statements. A proposed social statement on economic
life will come before the 2003 Churchwide Assembly.  A proposed
statement on human sexuality was ended in 1993.
     The 2005 Churchwide Assembly time line is the deadline for both a
final report on the homosexuality study "complete with action steps for
full implementation" and "a specific plan and time line leading toward a
decision concerning the rostering of homosexual persons in committed
relationships."
     During debate, voting members discussed the implications of having
a churchwide study and a limited process for a plan regarding the
ordination of non-celibate homosexual persons in place at the same time.
Others were concerned that a request for a change in ordination policy
would pre-empt the homosexuality study.
     Also on Aug. 13, the assembly referred to the ELCA Church Council
a motion to create a Commission for Gay and Lesbian Persons.  The Church
Council's response is  to be reported to the 2003 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly.  The idea of forming a commission was referred after voting
members raised budget and constitutional concerns.
     Commissions exist in the ELCA for women and for multicultural
ministries.  Each has a steering committee and staff people who monitor
and work with the program units of the church.
     Information about assembly actions is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/01 on the ELCA's Web Site.  Recorded
updates during the assembly are available by calling 773/380-2477.

For information contact: