From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans pass by-law that allows bishops to delegate authority to ordain

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

2001-212

Lutherans pass by-law that allows bishops to delegate authority to ordain

by James Solheim
jsolheim@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) By a two-thirds majority, the Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) adopted on August 11 a by-law to its
constitution that allows its bishops to delegate to other clergy their authority
to ordain. The vote was 683 in favor and 330 opposed, a margin of only eight
votes.

     The by-law says that "for pastoral reasons in unusual circumstances, a
synodical bishop may provide for the ordination by another pastor of the ELCA of
an approved candidate" but also says that "prior to authorization of such an
ordination, the bishop of the synod of the candidate's first call shall consult
with the presiding bishop as this church's chief ecumenical officer and shall
seek the advice of the Synod Council."

     The by-law could complicate continuing implementation of the full communion
agreement with the Episcopal Church, "Called to Common Mission," (CCM) which
requires that only bishops preside at ordinations. That has not always been a
requirement in the ELCA in the past.

     "This appears to be a unilateral alteration of the mutual commitment that
both our churches have solemnly made to enter into full communion based on CCM,"
said a statement from Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold read at a news
conference by Bishop Christopher Epting, the deputy for ecumenical and interfaith
relations. "Obviously it is too early to tell how frequently the ordination in
unusual circumstances will occur, or what the Episcopal Church's likely response
will be."

The bishop as symbol of unity

     Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson of the ELCA said that he understood the
concerns of the Episcopal Church and said that he hoped to rely on the good
relationships between the two churches. "Our belief is that the number of
ordinations in unusual circumstances will be low," he said. Asked why he endorsed
the by-law publicly before the vote, Anderson said that he wanted to pass on to
the new presiding bishop elected by the assembly "a church not as divided on this
issue as it was during my term in office." He admitted that he originally "had
great doubts about the by-law" but as the church's Conference of Bishops wrestled
with the implications and finally endorsed the by-law, he came to believe "it
will serve as unity for our church."

     In comments during the debate on the by-law, Epting warned that "it seems to
us dangerous ecumenically to start changing the terms of full communion
agreements once they have been voted and implementation begun. Ecumenical
partners across the board begin wondering if these agreements are trustworthy or
not." He pointed out that important policies are made as national and
international churches and while they may not be embraced by every church member,
"they are solemn commitments made by the church's official decision-making bodies
and, as such, they are to be honored." Epting said that the proposed by-law would
also seem "to deny the role of bishop as a focus of unity."

     Later the Churchwide Assembly soundly defeated a motion (786 to 194) to
allow bishops to be installed without the participation of bishops in the
historic episcopate, the most controversial requirement in the CCM proposal for
many Lutherans. And another resolution adopted by a 870 to 105 vote pledged the
ELCA's "abiding dedication of this church to live fully" into the full communion
commitments.

Lively debate centers on trust

     During the lively debate on the by-law the deep concerns about its
implications quickly became apparent. Several voting delegates said that the
policy on exceptions was necessary for healing and unity--and that ecumenical
partners would understand. Someone else asked whether the by-law was enough, if
it would satisfy those who continue to oppose main provisions of the full
communion agreement, or might it open the door to further alterations? It is
important that the ELCA "stay the course with agreements it has made," and not
take unilateral action that would be viewed as a "violation of our word,"
according to others.

     The issue of trust was raised by several people, arguing that by "breaking
trust" on such an important element of CCM it might diminish "our ability to be
in mission together." But President Tim Lull of Pacific Lutheran Seminary in
Berkeley countered that the by-law "captures something important about Lutheran
principles," that it was important to "bring along as many people as we can when
we face changes in the church." And President David Tiede of Luther Seminary in
St. Paul said that the by-law provides necessary "wiggle room" and represents a
"very modest" approach to exceptions while not placing conditions on the Gospel.

     Several observers predicted that only a handful of synods, maybe five or six
out of 65, would be sympathetic to exceptions on ordination policy, making the
by-law symbolically important but not likely to make much difference in actual
practice. That might also isolate those who might be tempted to continue the
fight against full communion, especially the Lutheran acceptance of the historic
episcopate.

     Bishop Mark Hanson of the St. Paul Synod, who was elected to a six-year term
as the new presiding bishop of the ELCA, said that he had supported the full
communion proposals all along but also endorsed the by-law. "We need to walk that
line between the integrity of our promises to our ecumenical partners and the
integrity of our call to be leaders with a concern for unity in this church--and
I am very mindful that that's a very precarious point to be at," he said.

     Hanson said that he called Griswold to assure him of "my commitment to the integrity"
of the full communion agreement.

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.