From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS Home-schooling families gather

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:58:25 -0700

LCMSNews -- No. 65
August 14, 2001

Home-schooling families gather

Nearly 200 home-schooling parents and children met July 10-14 at Heit's
Point Lutheran Camp in Lincoln, Mo., for the Fifth Annual Feed My Lambs
National Lutheran Home School Retreat. While most families attending the
retreat were from Missouri, 11 states, including Alaska, were represented.

Jo Ann Lininger of Urbana, Mo., who home schools three teenagers and
organized this year's retreat, described the gathering as "wonderful."

"We had originally estimated 150 people, which is what we told the camp to
expect," said Lininger.  "But we had 190 participants in 37 families."

Veteran home-schooler Carol Stearns of St. Charles, Mo., put together the
retreat program, which focused on Lutheran theology and included sessions on
Luther's Small Catechism, the Lutheran Confessions, apologetics, Law and
Gospel, and the liturgy.

"As LCMS home-schoolers, we often find ourselves quite alone theologically,"
Stearns said.  "Much of the curriculum we have available, as well as the
majority of other home-schoolers, come from a Reformed or, in some cases,
secular perspective.  "These retreats give us the perfect opportunity to
blatantly revel in our glorious Lutheran heritage, remind ourselves just
what it is we believe, teach and confess, and enable us to make connections
with like-minded Lutherans."

Next year's retreat is scheduled for July 22-25 in Chugwater, Wyo.  "Feed My
Lambs," a newsletter for LCMS home-schooling families, will publish retreat
details as they become available.

To subscribe to "Feed My Lambs," contact Rev. Steve and Robin Teske, 408
West Summit Ave., Shenandoah, IA 51601-2336; e-mail:
costs $6.