From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans will launch comprehensive study on homosexuality

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:31:38 -0400 (EDT)

2001-217

Lutherans will launch comprehensive study on homosexuality

by James Solheim
jsolheim@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) The Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) voted August 13 to commit the church to four years of intensive study in
an effort to reach some conclusions on the role of homosexuals in the life of the
church, especially in the ordained ministry.

     While the assembly turned back efforts to lift a ban on non-celibate gay
clergy, that issue will be a major consideration during a four-year,
comprehensive study of homosexuality endorsed by a vote of 899 to 115 on August
13. By a much closer vote, 596 to 409, the assembly asked for a plan to decide by
2005 on the ordination of non-celibate gays and lesbians. The assembly also
launched a process to write a social statement on human sexuality.

     The Rev. Joseph Wagner, director of the church's Division for Ministry that
will be responsible for the study, called it "a daunting assignmenta nervous
thing to do." Yet he quickly added, "We have confidence that, if we listen to one
another's opinions, all can be understood and expressed in the context of being
faithful and alive Christians."

     "There will be a very serious attempt to have a balanced set of views on the
group that will lead the study, to represent different perspectives within our
church," Wagner added.

     It will be "almost impossible" to do both the study and a social statement,
according to the Rev. Charles Miller, director of the Division for Church in
Society. "Initiating a social statement would require hearings and focus groups.
It is the will of the assembly to do a social statement on human sexuality, but
it is not reasonable to ask the church to do both simultaneously."

     The 2005 Churchwide Assembly will deal with the final report of the study
"complete with action steps for full implementation" and a "specific plan and
time-line leading toward a decision concerning the rostering of homosexual
persons in committed relationships."

     The assembly referred to the Church Council a proposal to create a
Commission for Gay and Lesbian Persons, similar to desks for multicultural
ministries and women, with staff who work with other program units of the church.

     The motion to lift the ban on gay clergy was introduced by Anita Hill, a
lesbian serving a parish in St. Paul. She was ordained in April in direct
violation of the church's rules. Bishop Mark Hanson of the St. Paul Area Synod,
who was elected new presiding bishop at the Churchwide Assembly, censured the
congregation. Widely regarded as sympathetic to openly gay clergy, he said, "We
have got to find a way to live together at a time when we do not agree on this
issue." He did open the possibility of allowing gay clergy to serve in particular
churches in some limited manner, according to press reports.

     Bishop Ted Schneider of the Metro Washington Synod told the Washington Post
that the study would probably ease the church into affirming gay relationships.
"I don't want to say for sure I know what the church is going to do but this
seems to be the way the culture is going," he said. But he made a distinction on
the ordination issue, arguing that gay unions are an individual pastoral issue
but ordinations go to the heart of church doctrine.

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.