From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

'Silence broken' at all-African AIDS conference

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:18:41 -0400 (EDT)

2001-218

News Brief

'Silence broken' at all-African AIDS conference

     (ENS) At a press conference held at the end of the All African Anglican
Conference on HIV/AIDS, South African Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane said that
"a silence has been broken and a first step is now in place for the Anglican
Communion in Africa to make it absolutely clear that we are willing to do all in
our power to bring the hope of a generation without AIDS to reality."

     The gathering, with more than 200 participants, was held August 13-16 at
conference facilities in Boksburg, South Africa. Three representatives were
invited from each African province of the Anglican Communion south of the Sahara,
as well as people with AIDS from each province and representatives of various
interested groups.

position of the church" for abstinence and faithfulness, but acknowledged "human
imperfection" in the "real world" where condom use "is suggested." He also
affirmed support for the South African government's position of "ABC":
Abstinence, Being Faithful, and Condoms. "What we are really asking our young
people to do is to change their life style," he said.

     Ndungane said that in many places in Africa it was important for communities
to "look at our customs in terms of funerals" because of cost and space
implications. He also issued a call to "all governments [in Africa] to declare
AIDS a national emergency."

     Archbishop Peter Akinola of Nigeria said that the church has "been denying
the reality of AIDS" but that the conference signaled an end to that denial. In a
statement, Ndungane said, "We are not afraid of talking about the frailty of
humanity and the need for prevention and education. Our vocation as Anglican
Christians is to save souls, yes, but also we must save lives."

     At a closing worship service, Ndungane said, "Some found AIDS more tolerable
when it was considered a homosexual disease, or indeed a black person's disease.
The scene has changed. Frankly, our lack of action , our prejudice our
indifference places a sentence on those we have chosen to ignore or wish would go
away. Our abuse of scripture and authority in these matters is shameful."

     A gathering of African primates is expected to adopt a statement, entitled
"Our Vision, Our Hope: The First Step," that was the result of the conference.