From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples pastor named disaster resource consultant

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:02:13 -0700

Date: August 21, 2001
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
E-mail: cmiller@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

01a-45

   WICHITA, Kan. (DNS) - "Prepared to care" -- those are the watchwords of
the Rev. Tom Davis Jr., a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) pastor
recently commissioned by the Church World Service (CWS) Emergency Response
Program as a volunteer disaster consultant.  The commissioning service was
held at Hillside Christian
Church, Wichita, with Linda Reed Brown, associate director, CWS Emergency
Response Program, officiating.

   Davis, chaplain for Hospice, Inc., Wichita, is part of a network of more
than 50 trained volunteer consultants scattered across the U.S. mainland
and Puerto Rico. He will work year-round in partnership with interfaith and
ecumenical groups throughout Kansas helping churches and communities
prevent and prepare for disasters -- and to help organize recovery
following a disaster.

   Davis is no stranger to disaster recovery work. On Oct. 30, 1998, severe
storms caused flash flooding in south central Kansas, resulting in more
than 2,300 relief applications to Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA). One of the most severely affected areas was Augusta, Kan., where
Davis was serving First Christian Church.  For more than a year, Davis
served as the interfaith director and the impetus behind faith community
recovery efforts in the Augusta area, receiving recognition from local
officials and the FEMA Region VII office in Kansas City.

   "I'm so pleased that Tom has entered into this disaster ministry with
the CWS Emergency Response Program Disaster Consultant network," said Reed
Brown. "I remember clearly when Tim Burke, then FEMA VII
voluntary agency liaison, said he had met this person named Rev. Davis and
that he would make an excellent CWS consultant.  I've awaited this day
since I met Tom for the first time in early 1999."

   CWS Disaster Resource Consultant Cherri Baer, a United Methodist, has
served as a mentor during Davis' initiation and training.  Both worked with
faith community responders following natural gas explosions in Hutchinson,
Kan., in early 2001.

Sponsored by Week of Compassion, the Disciples disaster relief and
humanitarian assistance fund, Davis joins four other active Disciples
disaster response consultants: Terry and Tina Wesbrook in Virginia; Lura
Cayton in Oklahoma; and Abigail Rosado in Puerto Rico.

CWS-trained volunteer disaster consultants serve in the ministry of the
Church World Service and Witness Emergency Response Program.  CWS carries
on relief, development and refugee assistance programs in the United States
and more than 70 countries around the world on behalf of its 36 member
communions.

                   - end -