From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian Church in Taiwan reflects on 30 years of Social Mission

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:13:26 -0700

Thirty Years On, Reflecting on the Social Mission of the Presbyterian
Church in Taiwan

Taiwan Church News 2581 19th August 2001
Reported by Kho Syau-pheng, Written by David Alexander

In 1971 the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) faced a cowed nation and
an oppressive government and spoke prophetically. Standing boldly upon its
Reformation heritage, the church issued the "Statement on our National
Fate" which called for the direct election of a new government based
not, like the one in power, on votes cast in China more than 20 years
previously, but on those cast currently in Taiwan for people who
inhabited the island.

Two more public and prophetic declarations followed before the end of
that decade. The church's leaders suffered censure, exile and even
imprisonment for daring to speak on matters which those who held power felt
were "not
in the church's sphere." But in the time since those declarations were made
the social and political environment of Taiwan has been completely
changed. A democratic state which freely elects its own government with
human rights and liberty for all citizens now exists here.

How does it look to current generations?

Lim Chong-cheng is in his 50's. He was a democracy activist through the
struggles for human rights and social justice for over 20 years. He
still promotes the mission strategy known as URM (Urban Rural Mission) in its
community organizing methods and goals. Based on his experience he says,

"Depraved politics often has plans, organizations and other structures
which are used to exploit and oppress weak people. The misery of the
oppressed has a creative side, though. In reaction to it they seek to
establish a society where justice will be strong for all, the weak will
find safety and culture and education will be in harmony. The greatest
desire of the people involved in URM in Taiwan is to find a broadened
and dignified place for the people of this nation. To have a country without
terror or fear, where wisdom, peace and freedom enable the whole world
to be enlightened."

Lin Hsian-fong is a member of Taiwan's Amis tribe. He is the pastor of
Chun An Presbyterian Church. He believes that he must participate in
social reform and cultural transmission from a Christian foundation. He
sees these as part of Kingdom Mission. "When Christians participate in
social movements it is a testimony to our faith. Since the new
government took office last year something of the edge has gone off of social
critique in the PCT. We no longer have declarations and appeals. We are at
a loss
as to how to be prophetic. Perhaps most seriously, our previous stands
on localization and indigenization are threatened by the current climate
which favors globalization."

Students are concerned about social movements, too. Chang Shin-wen
studies sociology at the church related Tunghai University inTaichung. She
is an
active participant in the Presbyterian Student Fellowship there. Her
interests lie in the direction of world mission and gender relation
topics. At school she has participated in environmental movements and
activities for social reconciliation. She believes that though students
have many available social concern ideas and opportunities, they are
like hothouse flowers. Two years ago she participated in a leadership
training event run by the World Student Christian Federation (WSCF), and
returned
home to organize a gender relations workshop on campus. Last September a
group she organized wrote a prayer letter and a plan book in cooperation
with the Student Christian Movement (SCM) and took a ten day exposure
and mission trip to the Philippines. "Society changes, and we cannot avoid
it. One choice open to us is to suffer with the marginalized people of
society, bringing our faith and the Gospel of Christ to bear upon the
changes that are needed. Bravely go act, because God is in our midst."

Chen Liong-thiat is a classmate of Ms. Chen. He says, "After I began to
have some concern for social problems I discovered that many churches in
the PCT are very weak in social concern. It seems that the churches feel
they have had their fill of social involvement and care no more for
public affairs."

Across the three decades since its first public statement, the PCT has
not ceased to be socially concerned and engaged. Society itself, having
become affluent, has disengaged from mission. The old adage about giving a poor
person a fish, providing one meal, or teaching fishing, providing a
livelihood, applies here. To many in Taiwan today it seems enough to
give the fish. The church that "taught many to fish" continues at some levels
of the organization to point in the direction of URM. There are social
concern centers and there is ecumenical participation, but these are
staffed by professionals. At the congregational level most members are
caught up in Taiwan's rapid and affluent society. In such a case, fish
distribution is about all they feel moved to do. Fish, or, coupons for
fish sandwiches at McDonald's.