From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: CUMMINGS NAMED SEMINARY DEAN

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:25:22 -0400 (EDT)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

CUMMINGS NAMED ACADEMIC DEAN AT AMERICAN
BAPTIST SEMINARY OF THE WEST
 The Rev. Dr. George C. L. Cummings, noted
American Baptist pastor, theologian and longtime faculty
member at the American Baptist Seminary of the West in
Berkeley, Calif., has been named academic dean at that
school.
 Cummings has served at the seminary since 1987
as Pearl Rawlings Hamilton Professor of Systematic
Theology.  He is widely respected as a key interpreter of
Black theology and Latin American liberation theology.
 Cummings also is senior pastor of Imani
Community Church in Oakland, Calif.
He is a member of the American Baptist Churches
USA General Board, where he is serving on the Executive
Committee and as parliamentarian.  Among other
denominational responsibilities he was a member of the
Review Commission on Denominational Structure and
Process.
 In announcing the appointment ABSW President
Dr. Keith Russell noted Cummings' "commitment to critical
analysis and excellence in ministry."  He added: "We are
excited about the leadership he will bring...as we seek to
provide theological education that is multiracial and
multicultural, evangelical and ecumenical, academic and
spiritual, theoretical and practical."

WFN0822B.TXT
 -0-