From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

African conference commits Anglican churches to all-out struggle against AIDS

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:57:30 -0400 (EDT)

2001-227

African conference commits Anglican churches to all-out struggle against AIDS

by James Solheim
jsolheim@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) The first-ever All Africa Conference on HIV/AIDS ended August 16 with
a clarion call for Anglican churches to commit themselves to an all-out war
against the pandemic that is destroying the fabric of societies and nations in
the sub-Saharan part of the continent.

     "A silence has been broken and a first step is now in place for the Anglican
Communion in Africa to make it absolutely clear that we are willing to do all in
our power to bring the hope of a generation without AIDS to reality," said
Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane of Cape Town, primate of the church in Southern
Africa, at a closing press conference at Boksburg Conference Center near
Johannesburg.

     His comments were echoed by his colleague, Archbishop Peter Akinola of
Nigeria, who said that the church has been denying the reality of the AIDS but
that the four-day conference, attended by over 130 delegates from 34 countries--
including church, business and government leaders--had changed that situation.

     At the close of the conference, the Anglican primates endorsed an action
plan, "Our Vision, Our Hope," that confessed "sins of judgement, ignorance,
silence, indifference and denial" but then called for change. "As the body of
Christ, confronted by a disaster unprecedented in human history, we share the
pain of all who suffer as a result of AIDS. Faced by this crisis, we hear God's
call to be transformed," the plan said.

     That transformation, according to the statement, means a deep commitment to
education, "confronting poverty, conflict and gender inequalities, ending stigma
and judgment and holding ourselves accountable before God and the world."

Stigma is a sin

     In addressing one of the more difficult questions, the statement was blunt:
"Stigma is a denial that we are created in the image of God. It destroys self-
esteem, decimates families, disrupts communities and annihilates hope for future
generations," and should be confronted "as a sin."

     The statement called for pastoral care and counseling for those who are
living with the disease but also stressed prevention. "Out of love for our
children, one another and our communities, we commit to speak openly and with
moral authority about responsible sexual behavior, and to support one another,
embracing and adopting behaviors that avoid the transmission of HIV." And it
called for more deliberate leadership, asserting that "silence permits inaction
and is the breeding ground of stigma. We call for bold, compassionate community
and institutional leadership at every level, to prevent infection and care for
the ill and dying."

     At a closing worship service, Ndungane said, "Some found AIDS more tolerable
when it was considered a homosexual disease, or indeed a black person's disease.
The scene has changed. Frankly, our lack of action, our prejudice, our
indifference places a sentence on those we have chosen to ignore or wish would go
away. Our abuse of scripture and authority in these matters is shameful."

Somber opening

     In welcoming the participants, Ndungane set a somber tone, reminding them
that the United Nations had just declared HIV/AIDS a "global emergency" and
reported that 75 percent of those infected, a total of at least 25 million
people, live in sub-Saharan Africa. Over 17 million have died already.

     Speaking for the South African government, Deputy President Jacob Zuma said
that an increase in awareness "has not been matched by change in attitudes and
adoption of responsible sexual practices conducive for the reduction of the
infection rates." He said that the government's prevention strategy is based on
"ABC," abstinence, being faithful to one's partner, and using condoms.

     It is time to "use the networks that already exist as a basis to inform our
communities about prevention and fighting stigma," argued Graca Machel, wife of
former president Nelson Mandela, in her address to the conference. She dealt with
issues such as the vulnerability of women and youth, the role of poverty, and the
need to shift thinking to look past the horrendous statistics to real people.
"Every time you hear a figure or a number, you should imagine a face behind that
number," she said.

Priest's testimony

     The Rev. Gideon Byamugisha, a Ugandan priest who is living with AIDS, added
a powerful dose of reality to the conference. In one parish he served, people
refused to come to the Eucharist if he were the celebrant. Other clergy tried to
deny him the right to speak, saying "you have no testimony."

     AIDS is "not just a disease, but a symptom of so many things that have gone
wrong. We prefer to locate the things that go wrong in sexual acts, but I think
it is a wider spectrum in society, economics and politics," said Byamugisha. He
criticized South Africa's ABC program as "simplistic, stigmatizing and
misleading," pointing out that "61 percent of all African women living with
HIV/AIDS have been in a faithful, monogamous relationship." For him testing is
key, modifying sexual behavior is essential and those who are infected must
pledge "never to infect anyone else."

     The health clinic he supervises in Uganda is named for Archbishop of
Canterbury George L. Carey who dedicated the facility during a 1998 visit to the
country. Carey said that Gyamugisha " was the first church leader in Africa to
come and declare he had AIDS. He gave others permission to speak about it."

     Ndungane told the conference that Gyamugisha's testimony at the recent
Primates' Meeting had moved them to make AIDS a priority and endorse the African
meeting.

     In his homily at the closing Eucharist, Ndungane said the "cries at the
beginning of the conference" over a plan of action had been partially answered.
"Our campaign for a generation free of AIDS must take the form of a marathon run.
There may be hurdles, yes, but stamina, tolerance and understanding will lead us
on to our goal."

     A partnership of trust will be crucial, he added, if hope is to be reborn.
Among the stakeholders present at the conference were Christian AID from Britain,
Episcopal Relief and Development, the Mothers Union, Compass Rose Society, United
Nations Agency for International Development, Tearfund, Africa Alive, LoveLife,
USPG, World Bank and the Anglican Church of Canada.

     Coordinator of the conference was the Rev. Ted Karpf, who recently joined
Ndungane's staff as missioner with a portfolio for AIDS ministry.

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service. This article is based on
Anglican Communion News Service reports by James Rosenthal.