From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Call to Prayer from the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:25:34 -0700

ACNS 2570 - MIDDLE EAST - 7 August 2001

A Call to Prayer

by the Heads of the
Churches in Jerusalem

Photographs from the Archbishop of Canterbury's recent pastoral visit to the
Holy Land are available from the Anglican World Online pages.

Jesus said: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you; Do not let your
heart be troubled, or afraid. (John 14:27)

We are greatly concerned at the deteriorating situation in the Occupied
Territories of the Holy Land;

Many families have been made homeless;
The Closures have turned towns and cities into Detention Camps;
The number of un-employed has risen dramatically resulting in tens of
thousands hungry for their daily bread;
Whilst our children are confronted daily with a picture of bloodshed,
violence, assassinations and murder.

Hatred and a desire for revenge is rampant on both sides - Israeli &
Palestinian.

We call upon all our people, throughout this Land, to join us in
intensifying our prayers for peace, with justice, and reconciliation.

To this end we have arranged a period of daily PRAYER FOR PEACE at 6 pm from
Wednesday August 15th to Tuesday August 28th in the churches across the
city.

We appeal also to our brothers and sisters around the world - many of whom
have already offered generous support-to link their prayers with ours at
this special time.

+The Patriarchs & Heads of Churches, Communities & Institutions in
Jerusalem.

----

Prayers for Peace
Jerusalem, 15 August to 28 August
Daily at 6pm
Wednesday 15 August, Armenian Cathedral of St. James, Old City. Armenian
Quarter

Thursday, 16 August, St. Mark's Church, Syrian Orthodox, Old City, near
Jaffa Gate

Friday, 17 August, Chapel of Tantur Ecumenical Inst. Road to Bethlehem

Saturday, 18 August, Syrian Vicariate. 6, Chaldean Street, Off Nablus Road

Sunday, 19 August, Anglican Cathedral of St George 20 Nablus Road

Monday, 20 August, Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Old City, near Holy
Sepulchre

Tuesday, 21 August, St James. Nablus Road, Beit Hanina

Wednesday, 22 August, Dormition Abbey. Mount Sion

Thursday, 23 August, St. Anthony's Church. Coptic Orthodox. Old City, near
Holy Sepulchre

Friday, 24 August, Ethiopian Orthodox Church, West Jerusalem, off Prophet
Street

Saturday, 25 August, The Blessed Sacrament Chapel, The Holy Sepulchre

Sunday, 26 August, Greek Catholic Church of Annunciation. Old City, near
Jaffa Gate

Monday, 27 August, St. Andrew's Church of Scotland. Near Railway Station

Tuesday, 28 August, Chapel of Notre Dame Centre, Opposite New Gate

Please continue to pray for a just peace & reconciliation to be implemented
in this Holy Land.

+ The Patriarchs & Heads of Churches, Communities & Institutions in
Jerusalem.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

You can join or leave the ACNSlist via our ACNS web page -
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/