From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Forum examines legacy of problems faced by Native Americans

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:06:34 -0500

Aug. 28, 2001  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-34-71B{366}

By Paul Little*

CLAREMONT, Calif. (UMNS) -- Five hundred years after the arrival of
Europeans to the New World, indigenous people are still struggling to
overcome the legacy of oppression, greed and exploitation that began with
Columbus and, in many ways, continues today.

That legacy came under scrutiny at the ninth annual Native American
Theological Forum, where participants addressed a wide range of concerns,
including the use of Indian mascots by sports teams, the denigration of
native spirituality and the negative impact of mainstream culture on youth.

The forum was hosted by the National United Methodist Native American Center
at Claremont School of Theology. Scholars, Native American activists and
religious thinkers explored historical and contemporary events and
ideologies that pertain to American Indians. About 50 people attended the
forum, which opened on Aug. 23 with the annual Seminarians Gathering and
National Native American Seminarians Association meeting, and concluded on
Aug. 26.

"Our mission has been to provide a forum for Indians and Christians to
discuss issues of concern," said Clara Sue Kidwell, a forum organizer and
director of Native American studies at the University of Oklahoma.

Since 1993, the center has brought together scholars and theologians to
examine topics such as "Living Traditions" (1994), "Sovereignty and God"
(1998), "Native American Traditions: Sacred Stories, Sacred Nature" (1999)
and "Healing, Wholeness and Salvation" (2000). "If we are going to explicate
these issues, the forum gives us a way to bring them out in the open and
discuss them among ourselves," Kidwell said.

The theme for the 2001 forum was "Native Americans as Activists: A
Historical and Theological Perspective." Participants included Kidwell;
George "Tink" Tinker, professor at United Methodist-related Iliff School of
Theology in Denver; the Rev. Homer Noley, pastor of Hamilton United
Methodist Church in Wilburton, Okla.; Richard Grounds, professor at the
University of Tulsa in Oklahoma; and the Rev. Alvin Deer, executive director
of the Native American International Caucus of the United Methodist Church.

The forum opened with Noley's presentation, "Setting the Historical
Perspective." That was followed by historian Kidwell's discussion of "King
Philip's War and the Puritan Response to Native American People."

Grounds injected a contemporary parallel by discussing the concern Native
Americans have with the use of Indians and Indian symbols as mascots for
athletic teams. It is not simply the cartoonish portrayals of Native
Americans that are offensive, he said. "The use of mascots is another way of
dismissing the beliefs of native people."

Even more damaging is the denigration of ancient and sacred ritual, he said.
"Stadiums full of people banging drums and chanting, all making a mockery of
our rituals and beliefs, become an effective public ritual to dismiss the
spiritual and social worth of native peoples."

Tinker's discussion of "Native American People and Colonialism" focused on
the pervasive dangers that still face Native Americans. Tinker suggested
that the colonialism of the past has evolved into a continuing and
corruptive force today. In noting some of the dark underpinnings of the
"Christianizing" of America, he said, "We need to rethink the gospel
completely from the ways it was taught to us."

The Native American belief in balance and harmony in nature must be
injected, he said, and balance for everyone must be emphasized. "I can't be
healthy until all my relatives are healthy, too," Tinker said.

He advocated a cultural and ideological transformation. "Why don't we grab
onto values that are ours -- peacefulness, community and harmony -- to
transform the very culture that has evangelized us?"

In her response, Ines Talamantez, professor of Native American religious
studies at the University of California in Santa Barbara, asked that
participants consider "teaching based on practices of indigenous peoples."
She suggested that even native people are unaware of the part they play in
perpetuating the negative aspects of contemporary culture and the impacts on
Native
Americans.

"How is it that we are co-opted into this colonialization?" she asked,
reflecting on the problems faced by Indian youth. "These contradictions --
that begin at such a young age, that begin to devalue (youth) -- how do we
fight this?" Contradictions between the heritage and spirituality of their
forebears and the realities of modern life lead to problems that degrade
Native Americans, she said.

"The deeper we search, the more horrifying it becomes," she stated. "We're
losing some of our best young people to alcohol. We see it every day. How do
we begin to raise our consciousness?"

Deer discussed the Christian notion of idolatry as it relates to Native
Americans, and suggested that the graven images used by the early
missionaries placed a barrier between native people and God. He also noted
at one point: "Our ancestors were the first clergy in the land."

"What we need is a paradigm shift," Deer said. "We need to open doors for
Christian worship in places we find pagan."

For Deer, the church has a strong role to play in bringing about change.
"Our worship is worship God gave us and whispered in the ear of our holy
people and told them they were saved by being in balance with community and
nature around us."

God's presence is the unifying force, according to Deer. It is in the idea
of a Creator, he suggests, that everyone look for solutions. "There is no
speech or language where the voice of heaven is not heard."

A highlight of the forum was an authors' reception to celebrate the
publication of A Native American Theology by Kidwell, Noley and Tinker. More
than 40 people attended the book signing at Claremont's Edgar Center.

The idea for the book grew out of discussions at previous Native American
Theological Forums, according to the National United Methodist Native
American Center. The book is being offered as a way to inspire American
Indians to continue in dialogue about faith and God, and to encourage other
publications on Native American theology, the center said.

Next year's Native American Theological Forum will examine "Spiritual
Places." More information on the center is available by calling (800)
626-7821. Information about A Native American Theology is available from
Orbis Press, (800) 258-5838.

# # #

*Little is director of public relations at Claremont (Calif.) School of
Theology, a United Methodist-related seminary.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org