From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stated Clerk appeals to Israeli, Palestinian leaders as violence

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Aug 2001 14:29:21 -0400

Note #6818 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

flares
29-August-2001
01301

Stated Clerk appeals to Israeli, Palestinian leaders as violence flares

Israeli army occupation of religious buildings prompts letters to Sharon,
Arafat

(Editor's note: In the wake of escalating violence in Israel/Palestine, and
particularly the Israeli army's occupation of religious buildings in Beit
Jala earlier this week, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly stated
clerk the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick has sent the following letters, dated
Aug. 28, to Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian leader
Yasser Arafat. - Jerry L. Van Marter)

Dear President Arafat:

As Stated Clerk of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.),
I am writing to express our Church's great alarm over the recent escalation
of violence in Israel and Palestine.
We particularly deplore the Israeli army's latest occupation of areas in
Bethlehem, Beit Sahour and Beit Jala, and especially the takeover of
religious and humanitarian institutions (e.g., the Evangelical Lutheran
Church of the Reformation and the Lutheran Orphanage, and the Orthodox Club
in Bethlehem).  We denounce, in the strongest possible terms, the atrocities
of the Israeli army, including helicopter and jet fighter attacks, political
assassinations, torture while in detention, house demolitions, and
destruction of trees and other properties.

But we also deplore suicide bombings and other forms of violence that not
only kill innocent people and escalate the spiral of violence, but also pose
a major stumbling block to any possible peace negotiations and a barrier to
good will.

We have written to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon registering our protest of
action by the Israeli government and its military.  We are also writing to
you to urge you to exercise your influence and your authority to bring to a
halt the repeated attacks by Palestinians which serve only to do damage to
any possible or potential peace between Israel and Palestine and in the
region.  We have written to the Security Council of the United Nations
urging the deployment of an international observers to promote peace,
justice and security in the Occupied Territories.

We believe you are aware of our unflagging support of the Palestinians'
rights, which we have taken every possible opportunity to express.  We
assure you that we will continue to advocate those rights actively wherever
our advocacy is needed.  We trust also that you and the Palestinian
Authority will do all you can to persuade various Palestinian groups to
choose the path of non-violent resistance in order to achieve a just peace
and the fulfillment of the aspirations of the Palestinian people.  We do so
as we pray to the God of peace to grant you wisdom and forbearance to lead
your people to freedom.

# # #

Your Excellency Ariel Sharon:

I write on behalf of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.)  To register, in the strongest possible terms, our objection to the
military occupation of Palestinian Territories, and particularly the
takeover and use of religious and humanitarian institutions for Israeli
military operations.

We are appalled by the latest in a series of military invasions of buildings
and land, and by Israeli army attacks on Palestinian civilians and
institutions most recently in Bethlehem, Beit Sahour and Beit Jala, and
particularly the takeover of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the
Reformation, the Lutheran Orphanage and the Orthodox Club in Bethlehem.

We ask you to exercise your authority immediately to stop the military
violence, including helicopter and fighter jet attacks, assassinations,
torture while in detention, house demolitions, and destruction of trees and
other properties.  Further, we call on you to remove the tanks and troops
from those premises most recently occupied and the surrounding areas, and to
take serious steps to reopen the dialogue for peace with the Palestinians.

We are also calling on the Palestinian Authority to do all it can to end
Palestinian violence, including armed attacks and suicide bombings.
This should come to you as an urgent plea from a constituency that has for
as long as Israel has existed as a state, been praying and working for
peace, and supporting Israel's right to exist within secure borders as well
as the Palestinians'right to self-determination.  With this plea, we also
lift up our prayers to the God of justice and shalom to guide you and your
government in the paths of peace.

Clifton Kirkpatrick
General Assembly stated clerk
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)