From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

'Fullness of life' to be at center of next Reformed world gathering

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Aug 2001 17:08:44 -0400

Note #6821 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

in 2004
29-August-2001
01304

'Fullness of life' to be at center of next Reformed world gathering in 2004

World Alliance of Reformed Churches General Council will be in Ghana

by Laurie Spurr
Ecumenical News International
and Jerry L. Van Marter

HOLLAND, Mich. - Leaders of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC)
are calling on their members to reflect on issues such as peace, economic
justice and creation as they prepare for the organization's next world
gathering, scheduled for 2004.

	The gathering - known as the General Council - will take place in Accra,
Ghana, on the general theme "That All May Have Life in Fullness," an
adaptation of the biblical verse John 10:10.

	At a ten?day meeting here earlier this month, members of WARC's executive
committee identified these issues among other sub-themes - healing,
pluralism, gender justice and inclusiveness and participation - for the
General Council, which is the organization's top governing body. It meets
every seven to eight years.

	WARC is a fellowship of more than 200 Congregational, Presbyterian,
Reformed and United churches with 75 million members world-wide.

	Although the issues identified for the general council are not uniquely
Christian, WARC's approach will be different from that of other
non-governmental organizations or the United Nations, WARC general secretary
Setri Nyomi told ENI.  WARC could bring a theological perspective to bear on
social problems, he said.

	"The concept of fullness of life for all is deeply theological, deeply
biblical," said Nyomi, a minister in the Presbyterian Church if Ghana. "Part
of our tradition as Reformed Christians involves being in the world. We are
applying who we are [as Reformed Christians] to human conditions."

	WARC is planning to produce a congregational study guide and other
materials on the themes of the general council. Doug Chial, a member of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) who will coordinate the planning of the General
Council, told ENI that a Christian education outline should be ready this
autumn to allow member churches to weave WARC materials into their education
program cycles for the next three years.

'Time for action,' Nyomi declares

	In his address to the Executive Committee, Nyomi reflected the ecumenical
movement's increasing preoccupation with the global economic order,
reminding WARC's churches of the pressing need to eliminate poverty and
restore human dignity for all peoples of the world.

	"In the 21st century, we cannot afford to waste time while people are
dying," he said. "We are called to make a difference! This is the time for
action."

	Nyomi criticized what he called the "lethargy" of some churches in their
commitment to advocacy for the poor. Referring to Jubilee 2000, the