From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UFMCC Responds To Florida GLBT Adoption Ruling

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:45:56 -0700

NEWS ALERT
To U.S. Residents And U.S.-Based Activists
 From The Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

Florida Court Upholds Law Prohibiting Gay and Lesbian Adoption

A Message From
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry

"And today's Florida court decision means something else. It
means that our ongoing struggle for social justice
and equality under the law is far from over."
                         -- The Rev. Troy Perry, UFMCC Moderator

August 30, 2001

Earlier today (August 30, 2001), a US Federal Court in Miami issued a summary
judgment which upheld Florida's unjust law prohibiting gays and lesbians from
adopting.

I am deeply saddened by this court decision.

This unjust court decision means that thousands of children across the state
of Florida will be denied safe and loving homes.

This unjust court decision means that tens of thousands of gay and lesbian
Floridians will be denied equality under the law -- and denied the
opportunity to open their hearts and homes to children in need.

This unjust court decision means that bigotry and prejudice once again have
been upheld by the US federal courts.

And this unjust court decision means something else: It means that our
ongoing struggle for social justice and equality under the law is far from
over.

I find it especially ironic that Judge James Lawrence King wrote in his
decision that no one can "demonstrate that homosexual families are
equivalently stable, are able to provide proper gender identification or are
no more socially stigmatizing than married
heterosexual families." The judge made this statement the very same week the
National Survey of Gay and Lesbian Parents study was presented before the
American Psychological Association.

According to Nanette Silverman, a researcher at Dowling College in Oakdale,
New York, "The data suggests lesbian and gay parents are more responsive,
child-oriented and egalitarian than heterosexual parents. Gay and lesbian
parents are functioning quite well. Sexual orientation is totally irrelevant
to the quality of parenting."

I am saddened that the judge has chosen to overlook the latest research and
in this process has made a ruling influenced by bigoted stereotypes and
prejudice.

My more than 30 years of experience and ministry in the LGBT communities
confirm the results of this latest research. It has been one of the great
joys of my life to know, minister and work with literally thousands of
lesbian and gay couples who have been exemplary parents and raised wonderful,
loving, caring children.

Today, I am inviting all people of goodwill to join me in upholding the
people of Florida with our prayers and support as they seek new and effective
ways to right today's injustice.

/signed/
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry
Office of the Moderator
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt
UFMCC Interim Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: UFMCCHQ@aol.com
Website: www.ufmcc.com