From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

David Steele, Presbyterian writer extraordinaire, succumbs to cancer

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 4 Sep 2001 15:35:04 -0400

Note #6822 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

4-September-2001
01303

David Steele, Presbyterian writer extraordinaire, succumbs to cancer

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Rev. R. David Steele, known lovingly to his friends as
"Good Ol' Dave," died Aug. 28 in Sun City, Ariz., of complications from
cancer. He was 70.

	Steele, who was best known for his whimsical "Tuesday Morning" column in
The Presbyterian Outlook, also published a number of volumes of poetry.  His
first book gave a crystal clear indication of his approach to life: God Must
Have a Sense of Humor - He Made Aardvarks, Orangutans, and Me."

	His most recent book, The Next Voice You Hear: Sermons We Preach Together,
was published in 1999. At his death, a collection of his "Tuesday Morning"
columns were being compiled into a book.

	A native of Pittsburgh, Steele graduated from Westminster (Utah) College,
and Princeton Theological Seminary. After he took up writing in his 40s,
Steele earned a D.Min from San Francisco Theological Seminary. His thesis,
spectacularly appropriate, was "Theology with Ogden Nash."

	Steele was pastor emeritus of Christ Presbyterian Church in Terra Linda,
Calif., where he served for 19 years. Earlier he was chaplain at Punahou
School in Honolulu, founding pastor of the Cottonwood Presbyterian Church in
Salt Lake City; and pastor of the Deer Creek Harmony Presbyterian church in
Darlington, Md. After retiring in 1996 he served for a time as interim
director of Montreat Conference Center in North Carolina.
Steele was diagnosed with stage four cancer of the throat more than a year
ago. Despite the rapid spread of the disease, he continued to write and
speak. Most recently, he attended the 213th General Assembly in Louisville,
where he was given a lifetime achievement award by the Presbyterian Writers
Guild and where the guild's top award for the best book of the year by a
Presbyterian writer was renamed in his honor.

	Steele is survived by his wife of 48 years, Joan; two sons, Mark and
Andrew; four grandchildren; and a brother, Jim, who is a pastor in
Englewood, N.J.

	A memorial service will be held Sept. 16 at Christ Presbyterian Church in
Terra Linda.
And now, someone else will have to feed the swans on Good Ol' Dave's
beloved little Whispering Lake in Sun City.

A tribute to R. David Steele

by J. Barrie Shepherd
(delivered in Dave Steele's presence at the Presbyterian Writers Guild
annual General Assembly luncheon, June 14, 2001)

"Theology matters" - or so we Presbyterians keep anxiously reminding
ourselves. "Theology matters!"

It seems somewhat ironic then that for all the weighty volumes on our
bookshelves, the founder of our faith, the one upon whom we base all that we
claim to know about God, wrote no theology, wrote nothing at all that we
know of.

Instead, as far as the records show, he told stories; he took typical scenes
and incidents from daily life and revealed the presence, and the purpose,
the very grace of God - God's kingdom he called it - right at the heart of
them.

Theology matters, and in a church like ours, a church that takes itself far
too seriously - far more seriously than God does, I'm convinced - there are
those who would say that David Steele is not a theologian, at least not a
serious one. And "Amen" to that!

Over many years now, David's sermons, books and regular columns in The
Presbyterian Outlook have consistently failed to be "serious," at least in
the sense that many unfortunate Presbyterians use that word.

Instead they have dealt with life and death, sickness and health, family
feuds and affections, traditions, aging and being reborn, what happens in
churches on Sunday mornings, the hungers and hurts of God's children
everywhere, all of the everyday laughter and tears, magic and mystery of
this radiant creation.

Just the sort of things, actually, that comprised the teachings of Jesus.

David, your theology, your true theology - theology rooted in life - has
been a veritable lifeline for a multitude of us lo these many years. In
times when it appeared as if the serious ones have finally taken charge,
your glorious and generous wit, your gentle and genuine wisdom have been the
leaven in the Presbyterian lump - and what a lump! - the one glimpse of
something brighter, truer and much more fun that has kept the rest of us
smiling, hoping and even praying.

Therefore, as theologian of life, as bringer of laughter and of tears, as
keeper of hope and joy in our Presbyterian tradition, the Presbyterian
Writers Guild expresses our admiration of and appreciation for your work by
naming our annual Distinguished Writer Award as from henceforth The David
Steele Distinguished Writer Award. And in so doing we thank God for the
gifts so freely shared through your words, your ministry and your life. God
bless you, David.