From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Korean American Presbyterian churches express opposition to

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 5 Sep 2001 10:33:50 -0400

Note #6825 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Amendment A
5-September-2001
01307

Korean American Presbyterian churches express opposition to Amendment A

National Korean Presbyterian Council sends a letter to the GAC

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Commissioners to the recent 30th National Korean
Presbyterian Council, have sent a letter to the General Assembly Council and
other Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) governing bodies expressing their
opposition to Amendment A.

The amendment, currently before the church's 174 presbyteries for their
affirmative or negative votes, would remove G-6.0106b - the commonly called
"fidelity and chastity" clause - from the PC(USA) Book of Order. A simple
majority vote will decide the matter.

The full text of the letter, dated July 6, 2001:

Greetings on behalf of the 360 Korean American churches in the PCUSA. We
write this letter with a heavy heart and grave concern over the action of
the 213th General Assembly in Louisville to remove G-6.0106b, commonly known
as the "fidelity and chastity" clause. After wrestling for decades over this
issue, we rejoiced when clarity concerning ordination standards seemed to
emerge with the passage of "Amendment B" in 1997. We affirmed our church's
rejection the following year of the attempt to dilute the new standard with
"Amendment A." We find it ironic that in an age of unprecedented spiritual
ambiguity, the General Assembly voted to move the church from clarity to a
position of increased confusion on the ordination issue.

The 30th Assembly in Chicago of the National Korean Presbyterian Council
would like to speak on this issue:

On Unity. As Christians whose spiritual formation took root in churches
founded on the daring and pioneering work of American Presbyterian
missionaries, we celebrate our union in the particular manifestation of the
body of Christ called the PCUSA. Our ongoing presence, vitality and
contributions to this body testify to our deep love and appreciation for the
church and her unity.

On Grace. Just as American Presbyterians brought the gospel to the Korean
people, so God has called us to proclaim the good news here on American
soil. And this good news is that God loves sinners and forgives our sin
graciously. But when the church refuses to call sin by its proper name, the
church is in danger of cheapening God's grace. As our Lord taught, our yes
must mean yes and our no, no.

On Scripture. We unequivocally reject any attempt in the church to make
Christ, Scripture and our confessions into three distinct and mutually
exclusive categories. While we agree that the confessions are subordinate
documents to the Bible, we strongly oppose the dangerous notion that the
mind of Christ can be known apart from Scripture. We believe in the Word
made flesh in Jesus Christ, and reject the modern revival of Gnostic thought
that claims that a "higher knowledge" of Christ is attainable apart from
Scripture. Our view is that this society values novelty a great deal, much
like the Athenians at Areopagus, but we do not believe that Jesus has a "new
word" for his church concerning sexuality, but rather is calling his bride
anew to return to her first love, and to be holy, as God is holy.

On Gospel and Culture. While we affirm the need for the gospel to be
properly contextualized in every culture, we reject efforts to relativize
God's Word to appeal to the prevailing culture.
The church must be sensitive to the movement of the Holy Spirit in society,
but must also be willing to speak prophetically against society's
idolatries. The internal debate over ordination standards must not deceive
the church about the larger battle with a society that has brazenly turned
God's good gift of sexuality into an idol.

On Obedience. We call upon all Presbyterians to stand firm and uphold our
current Constitution concerning ordination standards, and abide by the plain
teaching of Scripture concerning sexual purity. No one has a right to judge
another, yet we are called and compelled to speak the truth in love.

While we are numerically a small minority in the PCUSA, we recognize that
God often calls those on the margins of society to be God's prophetic voice.
We accept that call with humility and resolve, and pledge to work tirelessly
for the peace, purity, unity and theological integrity of our beloved
church, that we may be faithful bearers of the misseo dei, God's mission to
the world.

In the bond of Christ,

Commissioners to the 30th National Korean Presbyterian Council