From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop-Elect Addresses Churchwide Staff

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:39:00 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 7, 2001

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP-ELECT ADDRESSES CHURCHWIDE STAFF
01-226-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Saying he comes to his new call as presiding
bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) "in a spirit
of gratitude and hope," the Rev. Mark S. Hanson addressed some 400
members of the churchwide staff Sept. 5 for the first time since his
election.
     Hanson, bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod, was elected Aug.
11 at the 2001 Churchwide Assembly in Indianapolis.  He will be
installed in his new position Oct. 6, and will assume the role of
presiding bishop Nov. 1.  Hanson, 54, will succeed the Rev. H. George
Anderson, who will conclude his six-year term Oct. 31.
     Anderson, who met with the churchwide staff Sept. 5 to report on
actions of the 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, invited Hanson to address
his new colleagues.
     "I come to this call with deep gratitude to God because we have a
God who is faithful to God's promise," Hanson said. "I live each day
claiming the promise of God's faithfulness to each one of us as God has
bound himself to us in the waters of baptism.  That gives me a great
sense of gratitude."
     Hanson thanked Anderson for his six years of service as presiding
bishop, pointing out the "incredible legacy" he has left for the church.
Hanson cited Anderson's accomplishments in building ecumenical
relationships and focusing attention on the church's concern for people
living in poverty.  He also thanked other ELCA staff and leaders who
previously announced they will retire or leave the churchwide
organization later this year and early in 2002.
     The ELCA is a church with "a sense of urgency for God's mission,
not a sense of anxiety," he said.  People in today's society are
searching for meaning and hope, and are eager to "stop the rat race" and
bring families back together, Hanson said.
     "We know something about the bread that satisfies that hunger," he
said. "It is Jesus the Christ, the bread of life."
     The membership of the ELCA must become more diverse, reflecting
the culture in which it serves, or its importance may be greatly
diminished, Hanson said.  The presiding bishop-elect  said that for some
of the church's 5.15-million members, there is a "disconnect" with the
churchwide staff in Chicago.  Communication and clarification will help
bridge that gap, he suggested.  Hanson also said he will spend the next
18 months visiting all 65 synods of the ELCA.
     Hanson was elected on the fifth ballot for bishop, 533-499 over
the Rev. Donald J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Pennsylvania
Synod.  Hanson said the close vote is not a sign of a divided church,
but signifies "a very balanced church." Disagreements and "lively
debates" in the ELCA are a sign of a healthy church, he added.
     "I will enter this churchwide office remembering that it is God's
mission for which I'm being called, not mine," Hanson said in an
interview with ELCA News & Information.  The church is "greatly gifted
for the sake of that mission," and it has a rich history and bright
future, he said.
     "I am coming to a position where the church has articulated its
priorities as evangelical witness, the ending of poverty and the raising
up of leaders -- and keeping that in the forefront," Hanson said. "I
hope to bring a sense of urgency for mission, but also a willingness to
listen."
      Since he was elected presiding bishop, Hanson said he and his
wife, Ione, have been talking with their family about the "feelings and
realities" of moving to the Chicago area.  Five of the Hansons' six
children, plus a grandchild, are living at home, he said.  Ione Hanson
has a leadership position in two Twin Cities' hospitals.
     Hanson said he's spent considerable time in the past three weeks
listening to leaders in the churchwide organization and other Lutheran
leaders.
     Anderson, 69, said because of his active travel schedule, he has
many more friends around the church than when he began serving as
presiding bishop in 1995.
     "I've also learned an immense amount about all of the things that
the church does," Anderson told ELCA News. "I don't think anyone
realizes how many activities and ministries the church carries on both
here and abroad."
     "It (serving as presiding bishop) has broadened my whole
understanding of how God can use human beings, all of whom, like me, are
not perfect," he added. "But God uses them and gets the work done, and
that's been a great gift to see."
-- -- --
     Details about Bishop Hanson's Oct. 6 installation can be found at
http://www.elca.org/installation on the Web.

     More information about Bishop Hanson can be found at
http://www.elca.org/ob/hanson.html on the ELCA's Web site.

For information contact: