From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA/CWS First Statement on Tuesday Attacks

From Carol Fouke <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:39:54 -0700

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
NCC9/11/01 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE; Contact news@ncccusa.org; 212-870-2252

NCC/CWS Calls People of Faith to Join Together in Prayer,
Practical Actions in the Wake of Attacks on U.S. National Sites

We join all in our nation and world in shock and anger at today's horrific
chain of attacks on sites that are national symbols, claiming yet-uncounted
innocent lives. In particular, we hold the families of the victims in our
prayers. We acknowledge the grief, sense of vulnerability, loss and fear
that result from these attacks.

We condemn these vicious attacks in the strongest possible terms.  Even as
our national sites are under attack, we call on all people to manifest the
best of our national spirit. At such a time as this, we must hold together.
We call on people of faith to reach out to one another.

We especially urge churches, synagogues, mosques and other houses of wor
ship to join in prayer and practical help. We must stand united against the
temptation to retaliate against innocent persons.

We can all pray. We can respond to calls for donations of blood and other
practical assistance.

In this the worst attack on U.S. territory since Pearl Harbor, we must turn
our eyes to the God of us all. In Psalm 23, we are promised God's care even
"in the presence of our enemies." May God guide us in these days of pain.

The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar, General Secretary, National Council of
Churches
The Rev. John L. McCullough, Executive Director, Church World Service