From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Statement on Apparent Terrorist Attacks

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:35:29 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 11, 2001

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP'S STATEMENT ON APPARENT TERRORIST ATTACKS

     I am shocked by today's apparent terrorist attacks upon the people in the Eastern United
States. I join with all of you in mourning these enormous human tragedies. Congregations,
pastors and members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are praying for
the comfort of all people affected by these incredible acts.  We pray for ELCA staff and their
families serving in the areas most affected.

     As Christians, it is important that we behave responsibly at this time and not act harshly. We
offer prayers for our leaders, who must reassure a shaken nation and investigate today's terrible
deeds.  We pray that those who have been affected most will find comfort and peace in the
Lord Jesus Christ.  Our first thoughts should be to respond to our fellow human beings with love
and compassion.

     In the Psalms, we find these words: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in
trouble.  Therefore, we will not fear."

The Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America