From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ROBERTS RESPONDS TO TERRORISM TRAGEDIES

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:56:23 -0400 (EDT)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST LEADER RESPONDS TO
TERRORISM TRAGEDIES
 American Baptist Churches USA Interim General
Secretary Robert H. Roberts has responded to the
tragedies that have resulted from acts of terrorism in New
York City, Washington, D.C. and elsewhere this morning.
 He said:
 "I believe I speak for American Baptists and all
people of good will when I express my profound grief and
immeasurable sadness over the tragic events that have
transpired this morning in New York City, Washington,
D.C. and other parts of country.  The Bible speaks of
lamentations, and I deeply and profoundly lament the
tragedy in our country today.
 "The enormity of these acts of violence is almost
incomprehensible, and yet it lays bare the reality of how
desperately some people seek to exact something that is a
shameful distortion of justice.
 "We need to pray fervently today for the
thousands who have suffered the loss or injury of loved
ones.  We pray for the caregivers, those who even now
work to save those trapped and those who will need to
provide ongoing care to those scarred in body and spirit.
We pray that the hardened hearts of those responsible
for-and supportive of-such acts be softened and
reformed by the love that comes only from the God who
cherishes and models reconciliation.  We pray for swift
justice, but a justice tempered by appropriate restraint.
We pray for shalom-God's peace-in our broken world.
 "We pray that as Christians charged with the
ministry of reconciliation we continue to work-now with
renewed incentive-for the healing of this world.  We call
upon American Baptists to look to our Savior Jesus Christ
as the model for all our thought and action in times of
trial, and to work in His name toward that healing.
 "May the Spirit of Almighty God take this tragic
day and set forth in its aftermath the miracle of
redemption and renewal."

WFN0911A.TXT

 -0-