From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CWS Mobilizes U.S. Disaster Response Consultants

From Carol Fouke <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:56:43 -0700

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252; news@ncccusa.org; www.ncccusa.org
NCC9/11/2001 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CWS MOBILIZES ITS U.S. DISASTER RESPONSE CONSULTANTS
IN WAKE OF ATTACKS ON NATIONAL SITES

September 11, 2001, NEW YORK CITY - Church World Service has mobilized its
network of Disaster Response Consultants nationwide to provide pastoral
care in New York City; Washington, D.C., and other locales as needed in the
wake of today's attacks on national sites.

The Church World Service (CWS) Emergency Response Executive Committee,
meeting in Santa Fe, New Mexico, moved into immediate emergency session
this morning in response to the news of the attack on the World Trade
Center, the Pentagon and other sites.

"Together we express prayerful concern for the many families and
individuals who are impacted by these events," the committee said.
 Together the member communions of the CWS Emergency Response Executive
Committee are implementing and coordinating an immediate response that also
includes:

Member communions with trained emergency pastoral care teams have their
teams placing them on standby for a coordinated response;
The placement today of a CWS Disaster Response Consultant at the Albany,
N.Y., Emergency Operations Center for purposes of coordination;
Placing a CWS Disaster Response Consultant in the Washington, D.C.,
Emergency Operations Center;
Opening a satellite emergency response office at the Church of the Brethren
Service Center in New Windsor, Md., to serve as the center for
communication and response coordination;
Meeting regularly to further our coordinated response.

The committee invoked the promise that "God is our refuge and strength, a
very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth
should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though
its waters roar and foam; though the mountains tremble with its tumult."
(Psalm 46; 1-3)

"It is in these words of hope and promise that we find comfort during this
time," the committee said.  "We beseech members of our communions to join
us in prayer and to stand ready to offer the resources for our common
response as the needs become apparent during coming days and weeks."

CWS Emergency Response Executive Committee members present at Santa Fe:
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance; Reformed Church World Service; United
Church of Christ National Disaster Ministries; Week of Compassion,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ); United Methodist Committee on
Relief; Lutheran Disaster Response; Church of the Brethren Emergency
Response and Service Ministries.

Church World Service is part of the National Council of Churches.  For
updates/to help (monetary donations only, please; CWS is unable to accept
material aid or volunteer help at this time), phone 800-297-1516 or visit
www.churchworldservice.org

-end-