From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Palestinian Liberation Theology Group Condemns Terrorism

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:33:12 EDT

For further information contact:

Rev. Naim Ateek
Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center
PO Box 49084
Jerusalem 91491
tel: 972-2-5327136
fax: 972-2-5327137
email: sabeel@sabeel.org
website: www.sabeel.org

JERUSALEM, September 12, 2001--The Sabeel Liberation Theology group in
Jerusalem sent the following message to North America friends and colleagues
this morning:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We are stunned at the enormous tragedy that hit the USA yesterday and caused
great suffering to the American people.

As we grieve the loss of so many lives, we share your sorrow, fear and
concern for your loved ones and all innocent people, victims of hatred and
sick minds.  The extent of the catastrophe reveals the vulnerability and
weakness of human beings and governments in the face of terror.

As Palestinians, who have been victims of terror, we are appalled at the
reports of Palestinians celebrating your tragedy.  Amidst all the pain and
injustice that we have been living through the past year, we condemn all
terrorist crimes that dehumanize and perpetrate evil. It is important to
realize that once more the media is at work to divert attention from this
terrible calamity by trying to find scapegoats to blame.

Now is the time to work with more determination to deal with the root causes
that create violence, a violence that is consuming our world. It is the time
to remember that only God is great.  Let us pray that his love and mercy will
comfort the bereaved, heal the injured, and help and guide leaders into
taking decisions that will avoid more suffering to humankind.

We pray for a just peace that will save our world.

Fr. Naim Ateek, director
Sabeel Liberation Theology Movement