From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Church leaders respond to horrible violence in New York

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:54:03 -0700

[Anglican Church of Canada, Toronto] In the wake of the catastrophic acts of
violence September 11 at New York's World Trade Center and across the United
States, various churches and cathedrals across Canada announced that they
would be open for special services and prayer vigils. Those interested may
contact their local diocesan office (see our diocesan listings for telephone
numbers) or church for further details.

In addition, many religious leaders have released messages of condolences
for the victims of violence. Archbishop Michael Peers, primate of the
Anglican Church of Canada, sent a letter to his American counterpart, Bishop
Frank Griswold, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church in the U.S. In the
letter, Archbishop Peers expressed concern for Bishop Griswold and the staff
of the U.S. church whose New York offices are near the Trade Center.

The primate wrote, in part:

"I want to assure you that my prayers, and those of Anglicans across Canada,
are joined with those of God's people in the United States and around the
world. While it is too early to understand with any certainty what lies
behind these events, we can be certain that God meets us in prayer, and
shares in both our horror and our hope.

"Please communicate to the people of the Episcopal Church, and those of your
nation, that we are beside you in prayer, in compassion, and in the witness
to hope and peace that are our vocation in the face of the wreckage that is
in front of all our eyes and that haunts all our hearts."

The full text of the Primate's letter may be found in the news section of
the Anglican Church of Canada website.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.