From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statements from leaders of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:56:15 -0700

Communion

ACNS 2633 - ENS - 12 September 2001

Statements from leaders of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion

[ENS 2001-241]

Statement from the Archbishop of Canterbury

(See ACNS 2624) The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, has spoken of
his deep distress and sadness at the news from the United States.

"I was appalled to learn of the terrible tragedies across the United States.
The scale of the carnage and suffering is truly devastating. My thoughts,
prayers and sympathies are with all those caught up in these horrific
events."

The Archbishop, who is president of the worldwide Anglican Communion, has
been following developments closely and has been in personal touch with
colleagues and friends in the United States.

Statement from the Secretary General of the Anglican Communion

(See ACNS 2625) "The death and destruction that we are seeing from New York
following such violence and terrorism has devastated us here in London
beyond belief. Our prayers are with those suffering at this very moment, for
the dead and the their families and friends and indeed for those in fear
wondering what the next moment may bring to them. Our prayers, affection and
deepest concerns are with all the people of United States. We from afar can
pray and I ask all people of goodwill to join us in prayer for America and
its people."

The Rev. Canon John L Peterson

Statement from Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane of Cape Town, South Africa

(See ACNS 2623) "As the world watches the horror of the World Trade Towers
tragedy and America's pain, our hearts go out to all people of that nation
wherever they may be and I urge all South Africans, regardless of faith, to
join forces in prayer.

"We need to pray for the families of all those dead and injured.

"We need to pray for all involved in emergency services in New York and
other affected areas.

"We need to pray that the American leadership is granted wisdom to deal with
this horrific situation.

"We need to pray for our world."

Statement from the Church of Nigeria

"Beloved in Christ,

"We in Nigeria are shocked and horrified at the devastation leading to
catastrophic losses of lives that took place in the wake of the
unprecedented terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center towers in New
York, the Pentagon in Washington and near Pittsburgh.

"I had hoped, when I left New York, Sunday evening, to return to Nigeria and
send back to you a joyful 'arrived safely home' message but never ever
contemplated this changed role.

"The Church of Nigeria commiserates with you on this day of national grief
and be assured of our prayerful support in the trying days ahead.

"Yours in Christ,

The Revd Canon Emmanuel Adekola
Church of Nigeria Communication Officer

Statement from the Rt Revd Mark Sisk, Bishop of New York

"The terrorist attack on innocent people in the City of New York, Washington
DC and in fact an attack on all the people of this great land is an
unspeakable act of cowardice. This emphatically has nothing to do with
religion and everything to do with people overcome by the venom of hatred.
It is beyond comprehension how anything like this could have happened. Our
prayers are with the families of those who have been killed and those who
tragically will lose their lives in the hours ahead. We salute and applaud
the courage of those brave fire, police and EMS personnel who risk their
lives to save thousands of innocent New Yorkers. We pray for those brave men
and women who have died. Our churches are responding by opening their doors
and conducting vigils. We pray we will soon see the end of this horror."

Massachusetts Episcopal bishops lead prayers 'for peace and for our enemies'

Revd Barbara C Harris, Bishop Suffragan of the Episcopal Diocese of
Massachusetts, led a noonday service of prayer and Eucharist at the
Cathedral Church of St. Paul in downtown Boston. She was assisted by the Rt.
Rev. Bud Cederholm, Bishop Suffragan, at the solemn service marked by
periods of prayer and silence and the singing of hymns "O God of love, O
King of peace," and "God Save Our Native Land."

"Our intention for gathering is for remembrance of all those affected by the
tragedies of today," Bishop Harris told the congregation of about 50 persons
who had gathered from adjacent offices and the downtown area. "Let us pray
for peace. Let us pray for our enemies," Bishop Harris said.

"Almighty God our heavenly Father, guide the nations of the world into the
way of justice and truth, and establish among them that peace which is the
fruit of righteousness, that they may become the kingdom of our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ," Bishop Harris prayed from the Episcopal Church's Book
of Common Prayer, concluding, "O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded
us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth; deliver
them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable
us all to stand reconciled before you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

The Cathedral Church of St. Paul will remain open during business hours as a
house of prayer for all people.

Statement from the Rt Revd Claude E. Payne, Bishop of Texas

"We must pray earnestly in the face of these horrific acts of terrorism.
Hate creates the fertile ground for evil to flourish and the bombings in New
York and Washington are a clear demonstration of the power of that evil. We
must find ways to reconcile our differences which honor God's intention for
us. Pray for the victims and their families, the leaders of the world who
shoulder massive responsibility to bring this heinous episode to a quick
resolution and for the conversion of hearts around the world to respond in a
way that honors God."

Statement from the Rt. Rev. J. Jon Bruno, Bishop of Los Angeles

"Let us unite in prayer at this distressing time. Even through these
horrible events, obviously the worst assault on this nation since Pearl
Harbor, God is our strength and our refuge. I ask all in the diocese to pray
and to work in every way possible in the interest of peace and calm amid
this crisis."

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.