From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Message from Anglican Archbishop of Sydney, Australia

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:26:52 -0700

ACNS 2640 - AUSTRALIA - 12 September 2001

Archbishop Jensen to lead two special services of prayer for the American
people at St Andrew's Cathedral

[Anglican Media Sydney] The Anglican Archbishop of Sydney, Dr Peter Jensen,
will lead two special church services for the situation in the United States
today, Wednesday, 12 September in St Andrew's Cathedral, George St, Sydney.

The Archbishop will lead:

A time of prayer for the people of America at 1pm

A special church service at 7.30pm. Archbishop Jensen will preach at this
service

"All the people of Sydney are welcome to pray with us for the United States
in its present time of need," Archbishop Jensen said.

"We are all stunned and horrified at the violent scenes from the US that we
watched on our TV screens through the night and this morning. Our hearts are
overflowing with sympathy for the American people, especially those in New
York and Washington, and above all for the families who are bereaved, and
for those who are suffering and injured. It is a fearful tragedy.

"We must pray for them, for President Bush and others in leadership
positions in the US, and also for leaders of nations throughout the world,
including our own. May they seek and find wisdom from the God who is the
Creator, and sovereign Lord of the universe.

"In such a time as this, when we may all be feeling a measure of fear and
uncertainty, we should all turn to our God who is the Rock and the Comforter
of those who put their trust in him. This is not the time for any racist
attitudes that attribute blame to new communities in our midst, especially
the Islamic people who have come to share their lives with us.

"The violence that has occurred is an evidence of the evil that resides in
this world. May we all turn for comfort to the loving and gracious God, who
is not absent from human suffering, but who is present with us, waiting for
us to call upon him for forgiveness, mercy and love.

"We may heed and read the words of Psalm 46:

"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way...
The Lord Almighty is with us."

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.