From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Joint statement by U.K. Religious Leaders

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:49:39 -0700

ACNS 2644 LAMBETH PALACE 12 September 2001

Joint statement by religious leaders

We and all people of good faith and goodwill - whatever their religious,
ethnic or racial background - are appalled by these terrible attacks on
American cities. Such evil deeds have no place in the world we seek to build
and share.

Our hearts go out to the people of America and all those who grieve and
mourn. We pray for them and with them. We remember the dead, the bereaved,
the injured, and the missing, and all those working to save life.

As Christian, Jewish and Muslim religious leaders, we believe that it is
vital amid so much anguish and suffering to nourish all that we hold in
common and to resist all that would drive us apart.

We share a belief in God's compassionate love and a commitment to cherish
and respect our common humanity.

We pray that at this time of tragedy, we may be worthy of that gift and that
challenge.

----

This joint statement has been issued by:
   The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey
   Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor, Archbishop of Westminster
   The Chief Rabbi, Dr Jonathan Sacks
   Dr Zaki Badawi, Principal of the Muslim College, and Chairman of the Imams
and Mosque Council of the United Kingdom

And endorsed by:
   Revd Anthony Burnham, the Free Churches Moderator
   Revd Joel Edwards, General Director of the Evangelical Alliance
   Revd Christina Le Moignan, President of the Methodist Conference

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.