From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church agency supports punishment, not in-kind retaliation

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:50:35 -0500

Sept. 13, 2001 News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.     10-21-71BP{388}

NOTE:  A photograph of Jim Winkler is available at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/00/0092.jpg. A sidebar, UMNS story #389, is also
available. The full text of the United Methodist Board of Church and
Society's statement follows this report.

By United Methodist News Service

Washington-based United Methodist Board of Church and Society supports
punishment but not in-kind retaliation.

"More violence begets violence," said Jim Winkler, the agency's top staff
executive, in a statement released Sept. 12.

"In upholding the mission of the United Methodist Church, as followers of
Jesus Christ, we cannot approve any retaliation in-kind," he declared.

"Our hearts go out to all who have been personally affected by this national
tragedy," Winkler said. He called on all United Methodists to pray for the
victims and their families, and he especially urged church members to "lift
up President and fellow United Methodist George W. Bush ... at this critical
time."

"We pray for peace and justice, healing and compassion," Winkler said. "We
need to continue to seek avenues of peace and justice so that violence like
this in our world comes to an end."

Only the General Conference speaks officially for the United Methodist
Church. The Board of Church and Society is the international and national
public witness and advocacy agency of the United Methodist Church.

#  #  #

The full text of the Board of Church and Society statement follows:

United Methodist Agency Reacts in Shock, Compassion, In Wake of Terrorist
Attack

In the wake of yesterday's horrific terrorist attacks against citizens of
the United States, the General Board of Church and Society is reacting with
shock at the events of the day, and with compassion for all the victims,
alive and dead, of this terrible tragedy.

"We are in shock over the events of yesterday in New York, Washington, and
Pennsylvania," said Jim Winkler, General Secretary of the Board. "Our hearts
go out to all who have been personally affected by this national tragedy."
Winkler urged all United Methodists to be in prayer for the victims and
their families, and especially urged United Methodists to lift up President
and fellow United Methodist George W. Bush in prayer at this critical time.

"We pray for peace and justice, healing and compassion," said Winkler. "We
need to continue to seek avenues of peace and justice so that violence like
this in our world comes to an end."

Winkler also reminded those who would follow the Prince of Peace at this
time to use caution before rushing to judgment. "In upholding the mission of
The United Methodist Church, as followers of Jesus Christ, we cannot approve
of any retaliation in-kind. More violence begets violence. Yes, we believe
in punishment, but not in retaliation," Winkler said. "We also urge all
Americans and especially United Methodist Americans to refrain from rushing
to judgment against whoever may have committed these heinous crimes against
humanity."

Winkler said that United Methodists, where possible, should give blood or
other aid, such as to the United Methodist Committee on Relief, as positive

"This is a time for national mourning, grief, and prayer," said Winkler. "We
must also continue our efforts at being prophetic voices of peace in the
halls of power, to do everything in the power of the Holy Spirit to make
peace with justice a reality for all of God's children."

Only the General Conference speaks officially for The United Methodist
Church. The General Board of Church and Society is the international and
national public witness and advocacy agency of The United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org