From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Presbyterian Church Responds to Terrorist Attack in USA

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:21:30 -0700

Taiwan
Church in Taiwan

Dear Friends

Like the rest of the world, since yesterday, we are trying to digest the
news of the devastating terrorist attacks in the USA which have
dominated our TV monitors and impacted our hearts - it is beyond
comprehension.  A tragedy of such magnitude -  horrific for the victims,
their families and communities directly involved - can not but also
pierce the hearts of your entire nation and the entire world.

On behalf of the officers and constituent members of the Presbyterian
Church in Taiwan we convey our deep sorrow and express our sympathy to
the victims, their families, to your people, the leaders of your
government, your congregations and not forgetting the least among you,
the children of your land.

For members of the ecumenical family this horror brings into sharp focus
the WCC theme and its commitment for 2001-2010 the Decade to Overcome
Violence.  Let this be a challenge for us to dedicate ourselves with
renewed enthusiasm to strive for peace and justice by none violent means
in our respective regions.

As an expression of our sympathy, compassion and solidarity the PCT has
decided to provide immediately for our Partner churches, PC(USA), RCA
and UCC/Disciples of Christ, the amount of US$3,000. to each church.
Kindly let us know as soon as possible the bank details where the
donations should be deposited for your respective denominational relief
fund.

This morning colleagues in the PCT General Assembly Office prayed for
you - please be assured the prayers of your sisters and brothers in
Taiwan will continue.

In the aftermath of the tragedies in New York and Washington and
Pennsylvania we bring before the Sovereign God:

  the victims, those who grieve for their loved ones and for the people
of your county
        - Lord, embrace them in your arms and comfort them
           the teams involved in the rescue efforts and emergency
services
        - Lord, give them courage and stamina in these immediate crucial
hours

  the children of your communities
       - Lord, take away their fears that they may know security in your
hands
          the congregations of each of your denominations
      - Lord, give them boldness to share the love and hope of Christ so
those in
          pain may know healing and wholeness

  the terrorist organizations
      - Lord, may they be convicted by your grace and be accountable for
their
          actions before God and international law

the President and leaders of your nation
     - Lord, grant them your wisdom and strength to make responsible
decisions

the leaders of all nations
     - Lord, that they earnestly seek peaceful resolutions that will put
and an end
        to such needless, inhumane acts of senseless terror

Lord in Your Mercy, hear our prayers, Amen

For More Information: The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan www.pct.org.tw