From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC/CWS Call for Prayer, Unity and Practical Actions

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:46:06 -0700

NCC/CWS Statement Calls for Prayer, Unity
Practical Actions in Wake of Attacks

We join all in our nation and world in shock and anger at Tuesday's
horrific chain of attacks on the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon, claiming yet-uncounted innocent lives.
In particular, we hold
the families of the victims in our prayers. We acknowledge the grief, sense
of vulnerability, loss and
fear that result from these attacks.  We condemn these vicious attacks in
the strongest possible
terms.

  Even as our national sites are under attack, we call on all people to
manifest the best of our national
spirit. At such a time as this, we must hold together. We call on people of
faith to reach out to one
another. We especially urge churches, synagogues, mosques and other houses
of worship to join in
prayer and practical help. We must stand united against the temptation to
retaliate against innocent
persons.

  We can all pray. We can respond to calls for donations of blood and other
practical assistance.  In
  this the worst attack on U.S. territory since Pearl Harbor, we must turn
our eyes to the God of us
all. In Psalm 23, we are promised God's care even "in the presence of our
enemies." May God guide
us in these days of pain.

  The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar
  General Secretary, National Council of Churches

   The Rev. John L. McCullough
   Executive Director, Church World Service

http://www.ncccusa.org