From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UK Adventist Statement On Terrorist Attacks

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2001 04:10:57 -0400

September 16, 2001
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

United Kingdom:
Adventist Statement On The Terrorist Attacks In
America

Watford, Herts., U.K.     News  of the
devastating terrorist attacks on the United
States broke in Europe on September 11
in the afternoon. Pastor Cecil Perry, president
of the British Union Conference of the Seventh-
day Adventist Church (BUC), was travelling to
the Netherlands with other church workers from
the BUC when he was notified of the tragedy. On
September 13 he issued the following statement
and message to Church members in the United
Kingdom and Ireland:

"The deadly attacks on the financial and
military symbols of the United States of
America, including the civilian population,
have left us numb. It is shocking to know that
wickedness could have reached such proportions.
The British Union Conference of Seventh-day
Adventists wishes to give its heartfelt
sympathies to the hundreds of families who have
lost loved ones in the triple tragedies, and to
those others who have been physically and
psychologically hurt. We reject violence of
every kind and promote respect for human life.
Wars and terrorism have no place in a civilised
world."

"We request our members to pray for America and
the people who have become victims of such
terrorist activities. Pray that God will let
the rescuers find many more alive in the
debris. Ask the God who cares to give the
leaders wisdom to do what is right in these
difficult circumstances. It is the Church's
desire that hope in Christ's healing mercies
will not elude the people of America. May many
find comfort, and answers to the inexplicable,
in God's promises to take full control of this
world and vanquish the evil." (APD 133/2001)