From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists in Nigeria Fear for Colleagues

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2001 04:10:48 -0400

September 16, 2001
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventists in Nigeria Fear for Colleagues

Bukuru, Nigeria, 16.09.2001/APD  Religious
clashes in the northern Nigerian city of Jos
have claimed at  least 160 lives since tensions
between Muslims and Christians flared into
violence September 7. The Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Bukuru, Jos, was "badly hit" by the
conflict, according to Pastor Joseph Ola,
president of the Adventist Church in Nigeria.

"All our members are gone to various unknown
places," says Ola. "One of them was shot in the
head. Four others were arrested by military men
and were taken to an unknown place. There is no
way to get to officers of the field [or
region]."

Despite an army-enforced curfew, armed gangs
moved through Jos last week, burning cars,
houses, mosques, and churches and accosting
people on the street, according to news
reports.

The adoption of Sharia, or Islamic law, in 11
northern Nigerian states has inflamed tension
between religious groups in the region.

"It is time that our Lord should come to put an
end to all this bloodshed," says Ola, referring
to both the conflict in Jos and the recent
terrorist attacks on the United States.
"Innocent souls are being killed."

"On behalf of the Seventh-day Adventist church
in Nigeria, we send our condolence to the
families affected by this terrorist attack,"
adds Ola. "May the Lord send peace into the
world so that we can finish the work assigned
to us by our Master." (137/2001)