From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Griswold sees evil and generosity at 'ground zero'

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:35:39 -0400 (EDT)

2001-252

Griswold sees evil and generosity at 'ground zero'

by Jan Nunley
jnunley@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) On a pastoral visit to what has been dubbed 'ground zero' by dazed New
Yorkers, Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold, his wife Phoebe, and members of his
staff, escorted by police, walked the ruined site of the World Trade Center and
its environs on Friday.

     "I saw utter devastation, preceded by blocks of silent, abandoned buildings
and shops, and each checkpoint led us deeper into 'ground zero,' " said Griswold.
"For me, the most affecting moment was passing in front of St. Paul's Chapel
[across the street from the World Trade Center] and noticing a thick layer of
debris and dust on the front steps, a half-open gate, and the open door to the
church.

     The churchyard was thick with dust, refuse and thousands of pieces of paper,
he reported. The trees surrounding the church had bits of paper and plastic stuck
in them. The Episcopal Church and US flags were in tatters but still flying, both
at half mast.

     In the immediate area of the collapsed buildings, smoke from contained but
still burning fires drifted across the scene. The only people in sight were
police and volunteer rescue workers. The Griswolds joined in assisting workers
distributing food to rescue personnel and police.

     "My overwhelming impression was of incredible evil, counterbalanced by
incredible generosity," said Griswold, "And the spirit of being one." Workers at
the site seem "grateful that those of us who are signs and symbols of the church
and its care are present."

     When the group left, Griswold returned to St. Paul's, climbing over the
rubble to enter the silent and empty church. He noted no damage to the building,
although its windows were covered in dust and debris and could not be seen
through.

     Seeing the sacristy door open, Griswold went in to write a note: "I've been
here. You have my prayers and my love. Frank Griswold, Presiding Bishop." Then he
looked up to see that a priest had appeared--the Rev. Lyndon Harris, associate
responsible for ministry at St. Paul's. Griswold noted that the church had
sustained no damage. "We're keeping the church open," Harris replied. "But we
would gladly give up St. Paul's to have saved just one life across the street."

     "Over the past few days, many of us have been asking, 'where should I be?' "
Griswold commented. "It felt right to be there at the heart of it all."

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News Service.