From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: LEADERS SIGN 'RESPONSE TO TERRORISM'

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:47:56 -0400 (EDT)

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICAN BAPTISTS AMONG SIGNERS OF
INTERFAITH `RESPONSE TO TERRORISM'
 A number of American Baptists and
representatives from American Baptist-related institutions
have joined with more than 200 religious leaders in issuing
an interfaith statement, "Deny Them Their Victory: A
Religious Response to Terrorism," that addresses the
terrorist attacks against the U.S. and their aftermath.
 The signers include a broad spectrum of
Protestant, Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians as
well as Muslim and Jewish leaders.  They include heads of
denominational, national and regional religious
organizations and parachurch groups; local pastors and
rabbis; and theologians and professors from across
parts of the nation.
 Those within American Baptist Churches USA and
its related institutions who have endorsed the statement
include: Dr. Robert H. Roberts, interim general secretary,
American Baptist Churches USA; Dr. Manfred T. Brauch,
Maxwell Professor of Biblical Theology, Eastern Baptist
Theological Seminary, Wynnewood, Pa.; the Rev. Jeffrey
L. Brown, pastor, Union Baptist Church, Cambridge Mass.,
co-founder, Ten Point Coalition; Dr. Joan Brown Campbell,
director, Department of Religion, Chautauqua Institution;
Dr. Robert Franklin, president, Interdenominational
Theological Center, Atlanta, Ga.; Dr. Kathryn A. Lee, J.D.,
chair, Department of History and Political Science, Eastern
College, St. Davids, Pa.; Dr. Ron Sider, Evangelicals for
Social Action; the Rev. Robert W. Tiller, director of
Government Relations, Bread for the World; the Rev.
Robert Walk, endorsed American Baptist Chaplain serving
in Philadelphia, Pa.
 The document was developed in consultation with
Christian, Jewish and Muslim clergy and circulated for
signature by the Rev. Jim Wallis, Call to Renewal and
Sojourners; Dr. Robert W. Edgar, National Council of
Churches; the Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson,
Reformed Church of America; Rabbi David Saperstein,
Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism; and Dr. Ron
Sider, Evangelicals for Social Action.
The full text follows:

"DENY THEM THEIR VICTORY: A RELIGIOUS RESPONSE
TO TERRORISM"
 "We, American religious leaders, share the broken
hearts of our fellow citizens.  The worst terrorist attack in
history that assaulted New York City, Washington, D.C.,
and Pennsylvania has been felt in every American
community.  Each life lost was of unique and sacred value
in the eyes of God, and the connections Americans feel to
those lives run very deep.  In the face of such a cruel
catastrophe, it is a time to look to God and to each other
for the strength we need and the response we will make.
We must dig deep to the roots of our faith for sustenance,
solace, and wisdom.
 "First, we must find a word of consolation for the
untold pain and suffering of our people. Our congregations
will offer their practical and pastoral resources to bind up
the wounds of the nation. We can become safe places to
weep and secure places to begin rebuilding our shattered
lives and communities. Our houses of worship should
become public arenas for common prayer, community
discussion, eventual healing, and forgiveness.
 "Second, we offer a word of sober restraint as our
nation discerns what its response will be. We share the
deep anger toward those who so callously and massively
destroy innocent lives, no matter what the grievances or
injustices invoked. In the name of God, we too demand
that those responsible for these utterly evil acts be found
and brought to justice.  Those culpable must not escape
accountability.  But we must not, out of anger and
vengeance, indiscriminately retaliate in ways that bring on
even more loss of innocent life. We pray that President
Bush and members of Congress will seek the wisdom of
God as they decide upon the appropriate response.
 "Third, we face deep and profound questions of
what this attack on America will do to us as a nation. The
terrorists have offered us a stark view of the world they
would create, where the remedy to every human
grievance and injustice is a resort to the random and
cowardly violence of revenge - even
against the most innocent. Having taken thousands of our
lives, attacked our national symbols, forced our political
leaders to flee their chambers of governance, disrupted
our work and families, and struck fear into the hearts of
our children, the terrorists must feel victorious.
 "But we can deny them their victory by refusing to
submit to a world created in their image. Terrorism inflicts
not only death and destruction but also emotional
oppression to further its aims.  We must not allow this
terror to drive us away from being the people God has
called us to be.  We assert the vision of community,
tolerance, compassion, justice, and the sacredness of
human life, which lies at the heart of all our religious
traditions.  America must be a safe place for all our
citizens in all their diversity. It is
especially important that our citizens who share national
origins, ethnicity, or religion with whoever attacked us are,
themselves, protected among us.
 "Our American illusion of invulnerability has been
shattered.  From now on, we will look at the world in a
different way, and this attack on our life as a nation will
become a test of our national character. Let us make the
right choices in this crisis - to pray, act, and unite against
the bitter fruits of division, hatred, and violence. Let us
rededicate ourselves to global peace, human dignity, and
the eradication of injustice that breeds rage and
vengeance.
 "As we gather in our houses of worship, let us
begin a process of seeking the healing and grace of God."

WFN0917A.TXT

 -0-