From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Web Offers Resources for Terrorism Response

From Carol Fouke <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:52:11 -0700

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252; news@ncccusa.org <mailto:news@ncccusa.org>;
www.ncccusa.org
NCC9/17/2001 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCCCUSA WEB PAGES OFFER RESOURCES FOR RESPONSE TO TERRORISM

September 17, 2001, NEW YORK CITY - An interfaith statement signed by more
than 500 American religious leaders, liturgical resources for addressing
grief and fear, extensive helps for talking with children about terrorism
and statements of concern from religious organizations all over the world
are available on the Web pages of the National Council of Churches
(www.ncccusa.org <http://www.ncccusa.org>).

Also included are a multi-religious statement on "Diversity and Community"
and other interfaith relations resources, and current information on how NCC
and its Church World Service ministry are helping provide pastoral care in
the wake of the September 11 tragedy, in which hijacked planes crashed into
the World Trade Center and Pentagon and in Pennsylvania, claiming thousands
of lives.

"Our response has been to recommend a resolute response guided by the wisdom
of religious faith," said the Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, NCC General Secretary.
"We are reaching out to embrace neighbors of all races, cultural
backgrounds, and religious beliefs, affirming that God is the creator of
each of us - and all of us."

The interfaith sign-on statement "Deny Them Their Victory: A Religious
Response to Terrorism" has elicited a particularly strong, positive
response.  The document was developed in consultation with Jewish, Muslim
and Christian clergy, and circulated for signature beginning September 12 by
the Rev. Jim Wallis, Call to Renewal and Sojourners; Dr. Robert W. Edgar,
National Council of Churches; the Rev.Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, Reformed
Church of America; Rabbi David Saperstein, Religious Action Center of Reform
Judaism; and Dr. Ron Sider, Evangelicals for Social Action.

Signatures have poured in and by Monday morning, September 17, numbered more
than 500 and counting.  "Thank you for an excellent document.  I will read
it to my congregation Sunday morning," wrote one signer, the Rev. John A.
Shuck, Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Billings, Montana.  Another,
former United Church of Christ President Paul H. Sherry, wrote, "Let us all
hope that it will help as we all seek to come to terms with this horrid
situation."

Said the Rev. Stephen Godsall-Myers, Pastor, Calvary Lutheran Church, West
Chester, Pa., "I commend you for drafting a statement that speaks so well to
people of all faiths!"  And the Rev. Dr. Bob (Bernard R.) Bonnot, Senior
Vice President for Religious Affairs of the Odyssey Network, reported on
Monday that the "interfaith statement was shared with a large gathering
during an interfaith prayer service Sunday at the First Congregational
Church of Los Angeles."

The NCC Web site also includes links to Web sites of the Council's 36 member
communions, many of which also have posted resources for response following
the September 11 attacks.

-end-