From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pennsylvanians reaching out to help families of crash victims

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:31:06 -0500

Sept. 19,  2001 News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.     10-21-71B{413}

NOTE: A photo is available for use with this story.

By Jackie Campbell*

SHANKSVILLE, Pa. (UMNS) -- Ministering to the families of victims at the
site where United Airlines Flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania has been a
blessing to the Rev. Thomas St. Clair.

"God has allowed me to see faith and love in action," said the
superintendent of the United Methodist Church's Connellsville District,
southeast of Pittsburgh.  "I'm rejoicing that the body of Christ is what
gives hope and life in the midst of death."

St. Clair and two district pastors, the Rev. Dennis Fetter of the Somerset
Charge and the Rev. Barry Ritenour of Jennerstown, each rode as a spiritual
adviser Sept. 18 on one of the seven buses that carried family members from
Seven Springs Mountain Resort to the crash recovery site, then to a memorial
service on a private golf course at nearby Indian Lake. St. Clair spoke at
the service along with first lady Laura Bush, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge,
and Father Joseph McCaffrey, an FBI chaplain.

As the service began, St. Clair said, "I looked at everybody's eyes - the
families, the first lady, the governor. In all the eyes I saw a sadness; a
yearning for words of comfort and hope."

St. Clair marveled that he, "a broken vessel on crutches, was chosen to
bring words of hope and healing" to the grieving. He'll deliver the same
message Sept. 20 to another group of family members.

The outpouring of love and respect shown by community members who lined
roads, made signs and waved flags, as well as state troopers and recovery
workers who saluted, as the buses passed by meant a great deal to the
families, St. Clair said.

"Riding on the bus with them, I know how much these flags and signs and
yellow ribbons meant," he said. "I know because I saw their faces. I heard
their words. They felt like they were connected with people who genuinely
loved and cared for them."

After rushing to Shanksville when the plane crash occurred, St. Clair, who
walks with the aid of crutches, said he knew he couldn't help in the field
with recovery efforts, so he put his organizational skills to work.  He set
up training sessions for clergy and others who would act as crisis
counselors, as well as a session for emergency workers and others involved
in recovery efforts.

The Rev. Adrienne Howard, pastor of Allegheny United Methodist Church in
Pittsburgh and a retired Air Force lieutenant, conducted a session to help
caregivers and recovery workers deal with their own emotions.  Claude
D'Estres, spiritual care director for the Red Cross, gave volunteer
chaplains insight into helping families involved in such catastrophes.

Working with the Revs. Pat Nelson and Ray Lyon, St. Clair developed a
spreadsheet listing contact information, special skills, hours and
denomination of several United Methodist pastors and about 40 other clergy
available to serve as chaplains for families or workers whenever needed.

"Everybody worked together," he said, noting that the Rev. Duane Slade and
his staff at United Methodist Camp Allegheny, cooked and delivered food for
the Salvation Army to serve workers at the crash site.  "It was so wonderful
to see the church in action."

St. Clair said he's convinced God will bring some good out of the disaster.
"One of the good things is that it's bringing Americans back to their faith
in God.  We're going to have a religious revival in America."
# # #

*Campbell is a staff writer for the Western Pennsylvania Annual Conference
of the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org