From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Asian group urges caution in response to terrorist attacks

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:30:30 -0500

Sept. 19, 2001 News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.  10-21-33-71B{411}

By United Methodist News Service

As U.S. government officials plan to respond to recent acts of terrorism,
the National Federation of Asian American United Methodists has three
recommendations for their consideration:

7	"If violence is called for, make every effort to ensure that it is
perpetrated against terrorists and not innocents.
7	"Take the lead in pre-empting and preventing the pejorative
stereotyping and scapegoating of persons and groups which reflect the
nationalities, ethnic origins and religion of the perpetrators.
7	"Take the lead in addressing the root causes of the violence,
including doing everything possible to ensure that all peoples are treated
with respect and dignity, and are effectively accorded their human rights."

The Rev. Mark M. Nakagawa, pastor of Centenary United Methodist Church in
Los Angeles, is chairman of the association, which has offices in Oakland,
Calif. Executive director is Ascension L. Day.

In its statement, released Sept. 17, the association said the terrorist acts
"strike at the heart of our civilization, our democracy and our political
and human rights ... (and) must be dealt with forthrightly."

Regarding its first point, the association said violence against innocent
people "is not only immoral and an offense to everything we stand for, it is
counterproductive. That is, every innocent killed will propel untold numbers
of would-be 'martyrs' into the terrorists' ranks, and it will unnecessarily
and destructively polarize the struggle into one between Christianity and
Islam."

Regarding stereotyping, the Asian-American association said, "We recall the
mass hysteria that swept the United States in the aftermath of the Japanese
attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, in which 110,000 persons were
incarcerated without due process of law for no other reason than their
Japanese ancestry."

The group asks all United Methodists to "extend acts of compassion, healing
and mercy to the families that have lost loved ones in the terrorist
attacks, and to speak the prophetic words of justice, mercy and love in such
trying and difficult times."

#  #  #
The full text of the statement follows:

	National Federation of Asian American United Methodists
	300 - 27th Street, Oakland, CA   94612
	Tel: 510-836-0993    Fax: 510-836-0995
	E-Mail:   nfaaum@earthlink.net

Mark M. Nakagawa
Ascension L. Day
Chair
Executive Director

NEWS RELEASE

ASIAN AMERICANS URGE CAUTION IN RESPONDING TO TERRORIST THREAT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 17, 2001

Contact: The Rev. Mark M. Nakagawa
(213) 617-9097
e-mail: revmmn@aol.com

The National Federation of Asian American United Methodist (N.F.A.A.U.M)
joins with United Methodists and the ecumenical community in condemning the
terrorism in New York City and Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001, which
resulted in the deaths of thousands of innocent people and billions of
dollars of property damage. These terrorist acts strike at the heart of our
civilization, our democracy and our political and human rights, and they
must be dealt with forthrightly.

NFAAUM strongly urges the United States Government to incorporate the
following three concepts in its plans to respond to the terrorism:

       First, if violence is called for, make every effort to ensure that it
is perpetuated against terrorists and not innocents. Violence against
innocents is not only immoral and an offense to everything we stand for, it
is counterproductive. That is, every innocent killed will propel untold
numbers of would-be "martyrs" into the terrorists' ranks, and it will
unnecessarily and destructively polarize the struggle into one between
Christianity and Islam.

       Second, take the lead in pre-empting and preventing the pejorative
stereotyping and scapegoating of persons and groups which reflect the
nationalities, ethnic origins and religion of the perpetrators. We recall
the mass hysteria that swept the United States in the aftermath of the
Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, in which 110, 000
persons were incarcerated without due process of law for no other reason
that their Japanese ancestry.

       Third, take the lead in addressing the root causes of the violence,
including doing everything possible to ensure that all peoples are treated
with respect and dignity, and are effectively accorded their human rights.

We further call on United Methodists to extend acts of compassion, healing
and mercy to the families that have lost loved ones in the terrorist
attacks, and to speak the prophetic words of justice, mercy and love in such
trying and difficult times.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org