From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Baptist Peace Fellowship Statement on Terrorism

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:24:16 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date:  September 19, 2001
For more information contact:  LeDayne McLeese Polaski, Managing
Director
Phone:  704/521-6051; Fax:  704/521-6053;  Email:  bpfna@bpfna.org Web:
www.bpfna.org.

Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America
Statement in Response to the Terrorism of 11 September 2001

(Charlotte, North Carolina, September 19, 2001)The Baptist Peace
Fellowship of North America expresses profound and intense grief over
the tragic acts of terrorism resulting in death and injury at the World
Trade Center, U.S. Pentagon, and on four hijacked planes.  As an
organization with membership from four different nations, we appreciate
the global impact of these events, with a loss of life from over sixty
countries.  Our sorrow extends to all the victims, their families,
co-workers, and friends.  We mourn the pain and suffering these events
have brought and will bring forth.  We express profound admiration and
gratitude for the many people, professional and volunteer, who continue
to work tirelessly in rescue and recovery efforts and in caring for
survivors.

We acknowledge and understand the outrage and fear that generates a
retaliatory response.  It is based on a proper need for accountability
and justice.  However, we call upon world leaders to seek justice
through nonviolent means ? efforts that can build toward the prospects
of peace instead of war.

The BPFNA believes that peacemaking and peace-building is essential to
our Christian discipleship.  We follow Jesus who called us to love our
enemies and to pray for those who persecute us.  Even though it is
difficult to do this in the wake of severe violence, we look for ways to
transform conflict that lead to justice in a peaceable manner.   We
remember the counsel of two great peacemakers of recent times.  We echo
the words of Mohandes Ghandi: "I object to violence because when it
appears to do good, the good is only temporary.  The evil it does is
permanent."  Martin Luther King, Jr. observed: "Returning violence for
violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already
devoid of stars.  Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do
that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."  Such counsel
is prudent to all who would seek to mete out justice in a violent
manner.

We call upon our constituency to be committed to the tasks of
peacemaking and peace-building.  We call for specific and disciplined
actions of prayer, providing aid for relief, and for educating ourselves
in conflict transformation.  We also call for further education and
understanding of the social, economic, and political circumstances that
provoke acts of terrorism.  We call for advocacy in support of those who
are treated with hostility due to their race, religion, or political
beliefs.

To respond effectively in peace, we must act creatively and with renewed
vigor for the ministry of reconciliation to which all people of faith
are called.  This is a long-term response.  We must be engaged in
building a culture of peace in our families, churches, communities,
nations, and world.  The BPFNA is committed to providing resources and
programs toward this objective.

For more information, please contact the BPFNA Central Office, 4800
Wedgewood Drive, Charlotte, North Carolina, 28210.  Phone:
704/521-6051.