From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC pastoral letter urges discernment in response to attacks

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

2001-267

WCC pastoral letter urges discernment in response to attacks

     (WCC) World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary Konrad Raiser
sent a pastoral letter to WCC member churches in the USA on September 20 to
express continued ecumenical support and sympathy in the wake of the attacks
on New York and Washington, DC, and to urge discernment and encourage
faithfulness in local, national and international responses.

     The letter also shares the WCC Executive Committee's recommendation to
send a delegation of church leaders from around the world to the US as
"'living letters' of compassion, and to engage with you in a common
reflection about how we can shape a shared witness to the world in a time of
such great need."

     The text of the letter follows:

     "Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

     "Grace and peace to you in our One Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

     "In the brief message I sent you on behalf of the Executive Committee
of the World Council of Churches on that tragic morning of 11 September, I
assured you of the prayers of your sister churches around the world. That
was an affirmation of faith. Now you have had the evidence of those prayers
in an almost unprecedented flood of messages of compassion, love and
solidarity from churches in East, West, North and South.

     "This expression of unity in such a time of trial gives flesh to the
words Paul wrote to the Church in Corinth: 'Blessed be the God and Father of
our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who
comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those
who are in any affliction, with  the comfort with which we ourselves are
comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so
through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too* Our hope for you is
unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also
share in our comfort' ( II Cor. 1:3-7).

     "As I write to you now, ten days after the tragedy, the words in the
Revelation to John addressed to the angel of the church in Ephesus also come
to mind. 'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance. I know
you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have
not grown weary' (Rev. 2:2-7).

     "In these days, you have sought to respond in faith to many
contradictory voices. Some plead for a form of justice that would name the
evil and identify those responsible and bring them to trial in appropriate
courts of law. Others, however, want decisive military action to show the
will of the nation to avenge its losses and deny victory to its enemies.
Very many share the deep apprehension you have heard from churches abroad
about the prospect of the United States striking out again with its
uncontested military might. They fear that this would result in an ever-
rising spiral of retributive violence and the loss of ever more lives.

     "Words of condemnation and the language of 'war' come so quickly to the
fore. Blame is easily assigned to 'the enemy.' These are reinforced by the
images and messages streaming across all our television screens, wherever we
live. It is far more difficult to regard ourselves in the mirror of such
hatred, and to have the courage to recognize how deeply violence is rooted
within ourselves, our communities and even our churches. These are lessons
we are all trying to learn in the Decade to Overcome Violence.

     "Among those who have contributed to the remarkable outpouring of
sympathy with the USA have been other communities of faith. They share both
your sufferings and your fears. Partly in response to this, but also out of
your own sense of justice, you have reached out to those communities in your
own nation and with them have spoken out clearly against threats or open
acts of violence against Muslims and Arab Americans. This powerful witness
must be heard both at home and abroad. No one should be allowed to forget
that in the places often mentioned as primary targets of military
retaliation, Muslims, Christians, and people of other faiths live side by
side. Minority Christian communities and those majority communities with
whom their lives are shared stand to suffer severely at the hands of
religious extremists if the 'Christian' West strikes out yet again.

     "People in your country and around the world have gathered together
during this past week in sanctuaries of the churches for silent reflection,
and to invoke the presence of the Holy Spirit, who stands beside us in our
time of need and journeys with us through the valley of the shadow of death.
In these safe spaces, Christians and others have sought to discern the
deeper meaning of such thoughtless acts and the suffering they have
inflicted. This is indeed a time for quiet discernment of the 'signs of the
times,' for courage and wisdom, and to pray for God's guidance. As the
prophet Isaiah says: 'In quietness and trust shall be your strength' (Is.
30:15).

     "The message to the church in Ephesus goes on, however: 'But I have
this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.
Remember then from what you have fallen, repent and do the works you did at
first.' The United States was one of the early architects of the United
Nations and was once among the strongest advocates for the international
rule of law. In recent times, however, it has repeatedly ignored its
international obligations and declared its intention to ignore the rest of
the world in pursuit of its own perceived self-interests. This it does to
its own and the world's peril. The events of 11 September have again
reminded all nations that all are vulnerable and that the only true security
is common security. The United States, so often accused, has now been the
beneficiary of the sympathy and solidarity of the whole world. It could
respond in kind and with humility by reversing its course now and rejoining
the global community in a common pursuit of justice for all. It could set
aside its reliance on military might at whatever cost and invest in efforts
to find non-violent solutions to conflicts generated by poverty, mistrust,
greed and intolerance.

     "As the writer of the Book of Revelation says, 'He who has an ear, let
him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'

     It is one of the chief marks of the ecumenical movement that the
churches understand Jesus' prayer that they all might be one, as he is one
with the Father. They are being called to practise mutual love and to extend
this love even to the enemy, to become, as our familiar hymn puts it, 'one
great fellowship of love in all the whole wide earth.' No one can live
alone, separated from the wider fellowship, for we share one humanity. When
one hurts, all suffer together.

     "As an expression of that fellowship, the WCC Executive Committee has
expressed its desire to send to you a delegation of church leaders from
around the world as 'living letters' of compassion, and to engage with you
in a common reflection about how we can shape a shared witness to the world
in a time of such great need. I hope that you will welcome and open your
hearts to them as they will to you.

     "I reassure you again of our constant prayers, our love and our appreciation for
your ministries of consolation and of prophetic vision. May God bless, guide and
continue to strengthen you.

     "Yours in Christ, the Prince of Peace."

     For further information, please contact Karin Achtelstetter, Media Relations Officer
Tel:  (+41.22) 791.61.53. Mobile:  (+41) 79.284.52.12. In North America, please
contact Philip E. Jenks, Communications Officer, US Office, World Council of Churches,
475 Riverside Drive, Room 915, New York, NY 10115, 212-870-3193, pej@wcc-coe.org