From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Somber bishops gather to deal with globalization

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

2001-268

Somber bishops gather to deal with globalization

by James Solheim
jsolheim@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) It was a somber group of bishops that gathered Thursday night,
September 20, in Burlington, Vermont, for their annual fall meeting. On the
wall of the ballroom in the Radisson Hotel was a makeshift crucifix
fashioned by Episcopalians from Rhode Island, made of scraps from the
wreckage of the World Trade Center towers in Manhattan. A Spanish phrase was
attached--"Build a new world."

     The world is high on the agenda at the meeting as it deals with the
broad theme of globalization, its impacts and implications. In welcoming the
135 bishops, many accompanied by their spouses, Presiding Bishop Frank T.
Griswold said that he couldn't think of a topic "more pertinent." In the
wake of the terrorist attack last week on the World Trade Center in New York
and the Pentagon--two icons of the power of the United States in today's
world--it is time "to look at how our national interests are perceived in
the rest of the world," he said. "Even some of our friends are questioning
our commitment to the common good."

     The underlying issue is one of reconciliation, Griswold argued. "What
does it mean to be reconcilers as a church and as a province of the Anglican
Communion?"

A common wound

     Griswold thanked the bishops for making the difficult decision to
attend the meeting. "It is terribly important that we gather as a
community," he said. Acknowledging that the meeting was taking place in
"unusual and troubling circumstances," he said that "we have all personally
and collectively suffered a trauma. All of us have been wounded" and it is
best to deal with the effects "in community." Following the attack, he wrote
a letter to the bishops urging them to attend the meeting.

     Part of the trauma, he added, is the loss of "our sense of immunity"
and being forced to "face our vulnerability and fragility." He said that "it
is a thin place in which we find ourselves" but he noted that many people
are expressing "a need to be in sacred space. They are open in deeper ways
to the mysteries of God."

     Bishops play a special role, he said, in supporting their clergy and
people in this traumatic situation. But this meeting is also a time for the
bishops to lay down some of the emotions of the last week and share their
pain. "If you don't name your emotions you are the victim of those
emotions," he warned, asking the bishops to "be available to one another."
He hoped that the meeting and their mutual support would help them return to
their dioceses "more fresh, grounded and renewed."

 From the frontline

     Griswold called on the bishops most directly affected by the terrorist
attacks--Bishop Mark Sisk of New York and Bishop Jane Holmes Dixon of
Washington, DC.

     Sisk described the "eerie experience" in the wake of events. He went to
St. Luke's Hospital near the cathedral, which wanted help from the diocese
in setting up a blood donor station and a temporary morgue, and later to
Roosevelt Hospital nearer the World Trade Center. He had expected to see an
influx of survivors and realized it was a bad sign when none arrived at the
hospitals.

     When he visited Ground Zero the next day he was stunned that it was so
quiet. He walked the area near Trinity Church and St. Paul's Chapel and was
relieved that they seemed to survive intact. As he visit the rubble of what
was the World Trade Center, "we realized we were standing at the grave of
thousands of people," he said.

     Dixon said that the experience in Washington was quite different.
Because the Pentagon is quite isolated from the city, "we haven't
experienced the immediate horror but we do live in the terror of what will
come next." She said that the city was filled with rumors, feeding into that
sense of terror.

     The diocese had to decide if the cathedral could be a target and, after
discussing options, they closed the cathedral and worship outside the
buildings. With planes back in the air, many of them military jets, "people
now are more afraid than before," she said. Churches in the diocese are
packed and people face the difficult task of sorting through the differences
between justice and revenge.

     Dixon said that the trauma had fostered "one hope in this horror--people
of different faiths are coming together in a new way. Since events on that
Tuesday we have reached out to one another." For her personally, Dixon said
that "the trauma is still with me and I haven't been able to cry yet," trying to deal
with "much fear of the unknown."

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.