From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

DNS -- Disciples role noted in development of Habitat for

From "Wilma Shuffitt" <wilmas@oc.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:41:26 -500 EST

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}Title: Disciples role noted in development of Habitat for
Humanity
Date: September 21, 2001
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
E-mail: cmiller@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

01a-51

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The celebration of the 25th
anniversary of Habitat for Humanity International, Sept. 13-15
in Indianapolis, included recognition of the important role of the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the history of the
organization.

	Habitat founders Millard and Linda Fuller served as
overseas missionaries for the Disciples Division of Overseas
Ministries from 1973 to 1976.  The same year they returned
from Zaire, Africa, they founded the organization that has
become known world-wide for
providing decent housing for
persons otherwise unable to
achieve that goal.

	In the mid-1960s,
Millard Fuller was earning an
annual salary of $100,000 in
Montgomery, Ala. But his and
Linda Fullers relationship was
strained by his devotion to a self-
proclaimed singular goal to get
rich.  That strain and a sense of
call led the Fullers to leave
behind the business world and
the handsome income to search
for a life of Christian service.

	The Fullers became
associated with Koinonia Farm,
a small, interracial Christian
farming community founded in
1942 by farmer and biblical
scholar Clarence Jordan. At
Koinonia, Millard Fuller and
Jordan developed the concept of
partnership housing, where
those in need of shelter work
with volunteers to build simple,
decent housing.

	At Koinonia, we saw
what an incredible difference it
made in the life of a family to
get, for the first time, into a
decent house, said Linda Fuller.

	They started building
partnership housing in
Southwest Georgia in 1969.  By
1972, they were feeling called to
new ministry  but werent sure
exactly where the call was
leading.  They had
communicated with various
mission organizations, including
the overseas ministries unit of
their own United Church of
Christ, but did not identify the
mission opportunity to which
they felt they were being called.

	Soon, during a trip to
Florida, praying fervently in a
Tallahassee motel room, the
Fullers remembered their 1966
trip to Africa to survey
missionary work there.  In the
Belgian Congo, (later known as
Zaire and now known as the
Democratic Republic of the Congo), they were hosted by
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) missionaries.

	With that memory fresh in mind, the Fullers called
Robert Nelson, then the Africa Secretary of the Division of
Overseas Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ).

	Nelson said I think your call is providential, recalled
Millard Fuller. I met with a man in my office yesterday from
the church in Zaire, he was asking for someone to help the
church with development  I told him we didnt have anybody.
Nelson said If youre willing to go, I can tell him we have
somebody, recalled the Habitat co-founder.

	In 1973, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
commissioned the Fullers as missionaries to Zaire.  Their
work was called The Housing Project. Working with the
Church of Christ of Zaire over three years, the Fullers gave
leadership to the building of 114 partnership houses in the city
of Mbandaka and launched a campaign to build 300 more
houses in the region they were serving.

	The Fullers credit their experience as Disciples
missionaries in Africa as vital in the launch of Habitat for
Humanity when they returned to the United States in 1976.
That  really proved to us that the idea that we were doing in
Southwest Georgia would work just as well or even better in
other U.S. and international settings, said Linda Fuller. The
taproot is at Koinonia, but the concept of making it worldwide
really originated in Africa, her husband said.

	Submitting the legal paperwork to establish Habitat for
Humanity
International in 1976, Millard Fuller knew that a non-denominational
ministry was the right approach to meet the goal of eliminating poverty
housing and building decent shelter for all who need it.  We said no one
church can come up with that kind of money. Its too big for the Disciples
 its too big for the Catholics  its too big for the Presbyterians  but
what if we get them all together?  What if we have a concept that all of
the churches  differ on so many things, but can agree on the central
teaching of our faith which is that we ought to love one another. Isnt a
shame that the Christian family is so family is so fragmented that it cant
agree on anything.   We said, let us agree that we can build houses to
demonstrate Gods love, Millard Fuller said.  While Habitat maintains a
Christian identity, it organizes and resources volunteers from other faith
traditions, and builds houses for persons in need without regard for their
religious faith, color or ethnicity.

	By the time of the 25
th
 anniversary celebration in Indianapolis,
Habitat for Humanity had built more than 100,000 houses, sheltering
more then 500,000 people in 2,000 communities around the world.

	For more information on the complete history of Habitat for
Humanity International and for details of how the ministry works, visit
{

 HYPERLINK "http://www.habitat.org"; }www.habitat.org online, or
contact a Habitat for Humanity affiliate in your region.

                        -- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm