From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Werner to CEOs: Cut executive perks before jobs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:19:36 -0400 (EDT)

2001-273

Werner to CEOs: Cut executive perks before jobs

by Jan Nunley
jnunley@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) News that major air carriers in the US are laying off thousands of
workers in the wake of the September 11 attacks, despite passage of a $15 billion
bailout by Congress, prompted the Very Rev. George Werner, president of the House
of Deputies, to advise airline executives to cut back on the luxuries and perks
of their own positions rather than eliminating jobs.

     Since September 11, more than 130,000 jobs with the major US air carriers--
except Southwest and Alaska Airlines--have been cut and flight schedules have
been scaled back.

     American Airlines Chairman and CEO Donald Carty had declared a "state of
emergency" at the carrier, and spokesman Al Becker added: "We are fighting for
our lives, for the survival of the company."

     "My grandfather was a first-generation German living on the lower east side
of New York City when he was forced to quit school to help support his family" at
the age of 13, Werner said in an online discussion group for bishops and deputies
of the Episcopal Church. By the end of the 1920s, his grandfather was co-owner of
a tool-and-dye works in the Bronx. "When the Depression hit, he had been
preparing for a very early retirement. Instead, he and his partner decided that
they had the responsibility of keeping their work force intact," Werner said.

     "For the many years of the Depression, the two owners lived off their
savings. My grandfather sold his home in Ardsley-on-Hudson and moved to a second
floor walkup in the Bronx," Werner recalled, which meant hardship for the entire
family. But, he added, "In his final years, he would always tell me that the most
important accomplishment in his life was keeping each of his employees working,
each of their households intact."

     Although he said he knows and respects a number of CEO's, Werner remarked,
"I don't remember hearing a single one of them pledge solidarity with their
workers and the wider community by suggesting that they too will change their
life style. This is a time when executive salaries have lost all connection with
performance and median wages. This is a moment when seven-figure compensations
are the norm and eight-figured salaries are not unusual.

     "I know this is a different moment of history. I know the tales of honor I
still treasure are no longer very popular. But is it fascinating to consider what
a message such actions would send. For what will they tell their grandchildren
was their most important accomplishment?" Werner asked.

     American Airlines and Northwest have announced they will offer severance pay
to the 30,000 workers they plan to let go, reversing an earlier decision to
invoke the so-called force majeure clause in union contracts that would enable
them to lay off employees without severance pay.

--Jan Nunley is deputy director for Episcopal News Service.