From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presiding Bishop invites church to join in prayer for those with HIV/AIDS

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:59:48 -0400 (EDT)

2001-280

Presiding Bishop invites church to join in prayer for those with HIV/AIDS

     Dear brothers and sisters in Christ:

     After 20 years of living with HIV/AIDS, we as members of the Body of Christ
continue to face the challenge of this life-destroying disease in our
congregations, our communities, and the world.  Estimates prepared for the United
Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/AIDS this past June indicate that
at the end of last year 36.1 million people were living with HIV/AIDS, with
approximately 22 million deaths attributed to HIV/AIDS. Each day nearly 15,000
people become infected by HIV, ninety five percent of whom are in developing
countries, and 1,700 of those are in children under 15 years of age. These
horrific statistics only begin to give a sense of the pandemic in our midst.

     Each year congregations around our church set aside a time for prayer
particularly for all those affected by HIV/AIDS. In some instances it is a
specific Sunday in the fall; others use World AIDS Day on December 1.  I would
encourage you to set aside such a time. Resources and information for World AIDS
Day can be found on the web site of the National Episcopal AIDS Coalition, which
is www.NEAC.org.

     Please join with me in prayer for all those who suffer from HIV/AIDS, for
their families, for the medical professionals and all those who care for the
sick, that their commitment and love may be a sign of Christ's love in the world.

     The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold

     Presiding Bishop and Primate