From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Resource helps churches with pastors serving in military

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:20:07 -0500

Oct. 1, 2001 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{438}

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)-- The mobilization of military reserve units
following the recent terrorist attacks is a cause of concern for United
Methodist congregations whose pastors are called into service.

In response, the denomination's Section of Chaplains and Related Ministries
has prepared guidelines for chaplains, local congregations, and cabinets
that may be affected by pastors being called to active duty in the National
Guard and Armed Forces Reserve programs.

"We are in ministry together," the guidelines state. "This is certainly a
time of crisis for our country. We will need to be flexible and responsive
to the events as they occur for our clergy, our churches and our family
members."

The material covers diverse topics, such as the length of mobilization, how
to help the family of the chaplain, and questions about housing, health
benefits and pensions. The guidelines were developed by staff from the
United Methodist boards of Higher Education and Ministries and Pension and
Health Benefits, members of bishops' cabinets, and chaplains in the National
Guard and Reserves.

"We believe that together these guidelines will assist you," said the Rev.
Patricia Barrett, staff executive for the section, addressing the clergy in
the military. "You are in our prayers, as you lead and accompany God's
people through these days. May God bless you with wisdom and clarity."

The Section of Chaplains and Related Ministries is the official endorsing
agency of the United Methodist Church. It approves ordained ministers to
serve as chaplains and pastoral counselors in settings such as the military,
correctional institutions, and mental and health care centers. The section
is a unit of the Board of Higher Education and Ministry in Nashville.

When a pastor is mobilized as a chaplain, the staff-parish relations
committee, district superintendent and that pastor carry primary
responsibility for arrangements such as housing and pension and benefits,
Barrett said.

Complete guidelines from the Section of Chaplains and Related Ministries may
be found at www.gbhem.org/chaplains/WhatsNewInfo.asp?articleID=11 online.
The guidelines also contain questions and answers about United Methodist
pastors and their involvement in the National Guard and Armed Forces Reserve
programs.

For more information, contact the Section of Chaplains and Related
Ministries, General Board of Higher Education and Ministries, P.O. Box
340007, Nashville, TN 37203-0007; or call (615) 340-7411.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org