From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Center chapel receives banner commemorating terrorist attack on New York

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

2001-286

Church Center chapel receives banner commemorating terrorist attack on New York

by Clayton Morris
cmorris@episcopalchurch.org

     (ENS) The Chapel of Christ the Lord at the Episcopal Church Center in New York
City has just received an offering from the Rev. Eliza Linley, a priest in the Diocese
of California. She created a banner (see photo) which now hangs in the chapel as a
powerful reminder of the profundity of the events of September 11 and their impact on
our lives and future.

     When asked what inspiration was behind this creation, she responded, "I'd been
feeling so useless in the wake of the disasters, as I know many of us have. I found
myself just glued to CNN, unable to turn it off. I wanted to give something besides
money and blood, and started to think about a memorial piece. The Church Center chapel
just seemed like the right place. I wanted the work to be about the journey from
despair to hope. But silk painting is a lyrical medium that doesn't lend itself to
images of destruction. So I made a digital image from news photos and had it photo
silk-screened onto white silk. I then hand painted the rest of the image with silk dyes
and resist. The dyes are then set by steaming."

     The banner is titled "Requiem" and this legend accompanies the work:

     They are with us - leaves on the tree of life,

     their souls are colors of an endless, varied tapestry,

     each color vital to the whole,

     each strand infinitely valued in the eyes of God.

     Linley lives in Berkeley and is an artist, architect, and a founding member of the
Episcopal Church in the Visual Arts. The mission of ECVA is to raise awareness of the
visual arts in the Church. Check their web site at http://www.ecva.org for changing
shows of work by artists nationwide.

--Clayton Morris is liturgical officer in the office of Liturgy and Music for the
Episcopal Church.