From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Three moderators announce 21-member theological task force

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 4 Oct 2001 15:33:59 -0400

Note #6881 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

04-October-2001
01366

Three moderators announce 21-member theological task force

Gary Demarest, Jenny Stoner to serve as co-moderators

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - General Assembly moderator Jack Rogers and his two immediate
predecessors - Syngman Rhee and Freda Gardner - have appointed a 17-member
task force that will try to help the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) out of its
current theological malaise.

The names were announced Oct. 4 in a letter to the church from the three
moderators.

The task force was authorized by this year's Assembly by a vote of 467-41,
more than 90 percent, "to lead the PC(USA) in spiritual discernment of our
Christian identity in and for the 21st century ... seeking the peace, unity
and purity of the church.

The group, which will make annual progress reports and a final report to the
2005 Assembly, will address "but not be limited to issues of Christology,
Biblical authority and interpretation, ordination standards, and power."
The complete text of the letter and the 21 appointees:

	Letter to the Church from the Three Moderators

October 4, 2001

Beloved in Christ:

We were gathered in Louisville on September 11 to finalize the appointments
to the Theological Task Force mandated by the 213th General Assembly.

When we learned of the tragic events in New York, Washington, and
Pennsylvania we, like you, were shocked and saddened.  Everything changed in
that moment and our attention was redirected.  With others, we led a service
of Scripture, hymns, and prayers in the Presbyterian Center Chapel which was
filled with staff and volunteers.  We watched national staff immediately
mobilize to provide resources to Presbyterians in the most affected areas,
to all our congregations, as well as our personnel here and around the
world.  With you, we celebrate the committed, competent, and compassionate
ministry of our national staff.

We have been slowed down, given these recent events, in finalizing the task
force.  Now we are ready to announce the names of the Task Force members
chosen to help the church reflect on Amatters that unite and divide us@ as
we move from this time of turmoil into the future to which God calls us in
the 21st century.

We are grateful for a wonderful gift to the church.  We received over 500
nominations of persons for a 17 member Task force Ato lead the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) in spiritual discernment of our Christian identity.@  We
give thanks for all of those who made nominations and those who were willing
to be available for service.  It is clear to us that a great host of people
have been in prayer for the well being of the church and are prepared to
Apromote the peace, unity, and purity of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).@
We, also, were often in prayer as we tried to be faithful to the request of
the church.
We three moderators of the church met together for a total of eight days and
many thought-filled nights in addition to reading all of the over 500
letters of nomination and accompanying papers.

We first met to reflect on the mandate from the Assembly to clarify in our
minds the task, and to develop criteria to guide us in selecting the
members.  Then, in a second meeting of three days we began the difficult
process of selecting 17 persons.

Ours' was an embarrassment of riches.  We could have selected multiple task
forces of 17 members, each composed of persons of significant competence.
Finally, in order to represent adequately the strengths and diversity needed
on the Task Force we have chosen 21 people.
Gary Demarest and Jean S. Stoner have agreed to serve as co-moderators.

We believe that the task force members we have chosen represent the heart of
this great church.  They were chosen as people who can Adevelop a process
which includes conferring with synods, presbyteries, and congregations
seeking the peace, unity, and purity of the church.@

The Task Force will assist congregations and governing bodies in a process
of discernment that Ashall include but not be limited to issues of
Christology, biblical authority and interpretation, ordination standards,
and power.@
In this process, the Task Force will assist congregations and governing
bodies throughout the church to Areflect on and discuss matters that unite
and divide us.@  They then may recommend ways by which we can live more
faithfully together in the 21st century.

The Task Force will have its first meeting December 6-8, 2001.  We three
moderators will convene and charge them.  They will then develop their own
processes and focus on the task before them.

The Task Force will make an interim report to the 214th General Assembly in
2002 and to each subsequent Assembly prior to their final report to the
217th General Assembly in 2005.

We ask you to remain in prayer for these people who have been willing to
give themselves in service on behalf of us all.  This is a holy moment, an
opportunity for us together, as the body of Christ, to seek the well being
of the body and all of its members.  Let us join together in supporting this
effort that holds great promise for us all.

In Christ's love,

Jack Rogers, Moderator, 213th General Assembly
Syngman Rhee, Moderator, 212th General Assembly
Freda Gardner, Moderator, 211th General Assembly

The Theological Task Force Membership

Dr. Elizabeth R. Achtemeier is retired adjunct professor of Bible and
Homiletics at Union Theological Seminary in Virginia. [Presbytery of the
James]

Elder Scott D. Anderson is Executive Director of the California Council of
Churches. [Presbytery of Sacramento]

Dr. Barbara Everitt Bryant is currently Research Scientist, University of
Michigan Business School, and from 1989-1993 was Director of the U.S. Bureau
of the Census. [Presbytery of Detroit]

Dr. Milton J  Coalter is Professor of Bibliography and Research and directs
library and information technology services at Louisville Presbyterian
Theological Seminary. [Presbytery of Mid-Kentucky]

The Reverend Victoria G. Curtiss is Co-Pastor of  Collegiate Presbyterian
Church in Ames, Iowa. [Presbytery of North Central Iowa]

Dr. Gary W. Demarest is the Interim Pastor of the Glenkirk Presyterian
Church, Glendora, California. [Presbytery of Santa Barbara]

Dr. Frances Taylor Gench is Professor of New Testament at Union Theological
Seminary & Presbyterian School of Christian Education. [Presbytery of
Baltimore]

Dr. Jack Haberer is Pastor/Head of Staff for Clear Lake Presbyterian Church
in Houston, Texas. [Presbytery of New Covenant]

Dr. William Stacy Johnson is the Arthur M. Adams Associate Professor of
Systematic Theology at Princeton Theological Seminary. [Presbytery of the
Pines]

Elder Mary Ellen Lawson is the Stated Clerk and Associate for Administration
in Redstone Presbytery [Presbytery of Redstone]

Dr. Jong Hyeong Lee is Pastor/Head of Staff of Hanmee Presbyterian Church,
Itasca, Illinois and former professor of church history at Presbyterian
Theological Seminary Seoul Korea. [Presbytery of Midwest Hanmi]

Dr. John B. (Mike) Loudon is the Pastor/Head of Staff at the First
Presbyterian Church of Lakeland,Florida.   [Presbytery of Tampa Bay]

Mrs. Sue Mallory is the Executive Director of Leadership Training Network
and the founding Director of the office of Lay Ministries at Brentwood
Presbyterian Church. [Presbytery of the Pacific].

Elder Joan Kelley Merritt is a former high school science teacher, a charter
member of Newport Presbyterian Church, and the Moderator-elect of the
Presbytery of Seattle. [Presbytery of Seattle]

Dr. Lonnie J. Oliver is Pastor/Head of Staff of New Life Presbyterian Church
and adjunct professor of Evangelism and Missiology at Johnson C. Smith
Seminary/Interdenomational Theological Center. [Presbytery of Greater
Atlanta]

The Reverend Martha D. Sadongei is an enrolled member of the Kiowa tribe of
Oklahoma, and part-time stated supply serving Central Presbyterian Church,
Phoenix. [Presbytery of Grand Canyon]

Elder Sarah Grace Sanderson, a student at McCormick Theological Seminary, is
a candidate for ministry under care in the Presbytery of Muskingum Valley.
[Presbytery of Muskingum Valley]

Elder Jean S. (Jenny) Stoner is a retired Interim Coordinator of the Office
of Global Education and International Leadership Development , Worldwide
Ministries Division, PCUSA [Presbytery of Northern New England]

The Reverend Josi Luis Torres-Milan is Pastor/Head of Staff of Tercera
Iglesia Presbiteriana (Third Presbyterian Church) in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico.
[Presbyterio del Noroeste]

Elder Barbara G. Wheeler is President of Auburn Theological Seminary and
Director of Auburn's Center for the Study of Theological Education.
[Presbytery of Albany]

Dr. John Wilkinson serves as Pastor of the Third Presbyterian Church of
Rochester, New York. [Presbytery of Genesee Valley]