From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

2001-287

News Briefs

Conference on Christian-Muslim relations set for Kanuga in December

     (ENS) The Community of the Cross of Nails and Kanuga Conferences in North Carolina
will sponsor a conference on "Christianity and Islam in Conflict: Is There a Way
Forward?" December 2-5 at Kanuga.

     Keynote speakers from many parts of the world, and from both faiths, will share
their theological viewpoints and international experience and make use of workshops and
discussion groups to explore the issues. "I consider this conference to be addressing
the single most important international problem we face," said Van Kussrow Jr.,
coordinator of the conference and president of the Community of the Cross of Nails in
the United States. "There is scarcely a corner of the world where Christians and
Muslims are not in conflict. We need to know more about each other."

     The five speakers who will present the issue from an international viewpoint are:
the Rev. Andrew Shite, director of international ministry for Coventry Cathedral in
England; Dr. Liyakatah Takim of the department of religious studies at the University
of Miami who will discuss the history and theology of Islam; the Rev. Sookhdeo,
director of the Barnstable Fund in England, which assists Christians suffering for
their faith; Bishop Josiah Idowu-Fearon of Nigeria, the scene of armed clashes between
Christians and Muslims; Dr. Douglas Johnston, president and founder of the
International Center for religion and diplomacy in Washington, D.C.

     For information contact Kanuga at 828-692-3589 or the web site at www.kanuga.org

Anglican Indigenous Network meets in Australia despite terrorist attacks in America

     (ENS) Although the American representatives were not able to travel because of the
September 11 terrorist attacks, members of the Anglican Indigenous Network (AIN) met in
Cairns, Australia on September 19. As a member of the Episcopal Council on Indigenous
Ministry and leader of the Hawaiian delegation, Malcolm Chun, represented the Americans
by proxy.

     Before the meetings, members of the network joined in the consecration of the new
aboriginal bishop, James Leftwich, and a retirement celebration for his predecessor,
Arthur Malcolm. As the meeting began, the delegations took time to explore the
diversity of the Aborigines and the uniqueness of the Torres Strait Islanders.

     The Canadians reported on the current status of lawsuits brought by those who
claim they were abused in residential schools run by the churches on behalf of the
government and introduced a new document, "A New Agape," a plan for justice, healing
and reconciliation of relationships. They also presented a new video of Sacred Circle
2000, "Walking a New Vision."

     The original agenda had intended to focus on issues such as youth, concerns of
women, and land but, with the changes in attendance, the participants moved to an open
plenary on the future of the network.

     Bishop Hui Vercoe of Aotearoa (New Zealand) called for the network to consider the
future of theological education centres. "The form and order that we talk of and use is
way too dependent upon dominant culture and church," he said. "We must enable and
empower our laity to be an equal part of the leadership of the church, not just priests
and bishops."

     Canadian First Nations delegate, Donna Bomberry, said that the network was
important in giving support and inspiration to the indigenous people of Canada. "AIN
has supported the Canadian church," she said. "Maintaining who we are is terribly
important for the indigenous people in Canada. We need the lifelines and linkages and
communication with others sharing our common issues."

     By resolution the network reaffirmed its commitment to the need for self-
determination and also support for the Gwich'in Nation in Alaska which is opposing the
exploration and drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The network
also hopes to establish an office of general secretary. The next meeting will be in
early 2003 in New Zealand.

Baptized Anglicans now a minority in Britain

     (Telegraph) For the first time in the history of the Church of England the number
of baptized Anglicans is less than half the country's population, according to new
research by the University of Sheffield. The number of infants born and baptized into
the church has dropped to 21 percent, the survey found. Dr. David Voas of the
university's sociology department said that the trend threatens the foundations of the
church's establishment as a state church.

     There was almost universal baptism before the Second World War with about 75
percent of all babies baptized in 1933. Babies born to two Anglican parents are the
most likely to be baptized, the study reported. Boas estimates that 24 million of the
48 million living in England this year were baptized Anglicans. "Religion is being
passed down like a recessive gene--it does not generally appear in the new generation,"
he said, predicting that "further erosion in church affiliation is almost inevitable."