From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

US Lutheran Bishop Calls for Diplomatic Efforts instead of Military Action

From "Frank Imhoff" <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:27:49 -0500

Christians Urged to Treat All People with Respect

CHICAGO, United States of America/GENEVA, 8 October 2001
(ELCANEWS/LWI) - In the wake of the military response to the
September 11 terrorist attacks against the United States of America,
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) urges "our leaders
and military forces" to ensure that civilians are protected from harm
and that diplomatic efforts continue in order to find peaceful
solutions.

In an October 7 statement, Rev. H. George Anderson, retiring ELCA
presiding bishop expresses hope that diplomatic means will soon
replace military action in the efforts to defeat terrorism.

As Christians the love of "our neighbor obligates us to act to
prevent wars and seek alternatives to them," Anderson says referring
to the ELCA's social statement for peace-"For Peace in God's World,"
adopted by the fourth Churchwide Assembly in 1995. But, he notes, "We
understand that under certain circumstances there may be no other way
to offer protection to innocent people except by the use of military
force."

During these difficult times Anderson offers prayers for the leaders
of "our country" that they may be guided by the Holy Spirit to make
"wise and appropriate decisions," for the safety of those in the
military service as well as for civilians.

Anderson encourages all ELCA congregations to be "a calming influence
in our communities," urging them to be places of peace and prayer.

The full text of Bishop Anderson's statement follows:

October 7, 2001

STATEMENT OF ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP ON U.S. MILITARY ACTION

The United States has begun its military response to the devastating
terrorist attacks against our country that occurred Sept. 11. We have
known since that day that a military response from this country was
likely. The president has also stated that this action is being
followed by humanitarian aid.

In the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) social
statement, "For Peace in God's World," we say that as Christians, the
love of our neighbor obligates us to act to prevent wars and seek
alternatives to them.  However, we understand that under certain
circumstances, there may be no other way to offer protection to
innocent people except by use of military force. Now that we are
engaged in military action, we call on our leaders and military
forces to do all they can to protect civilians from harm. We urge
that diplomatic efforts continue in an effort to find peaceful
solutions.

I offer prayers for the leaders of our country.  May they be guided
by the Holy Spirit to make wise and appropriate decisions. I also ask
you to join me in offering prayers for the safety of all who are in
military service.  Let us remember to hold their families and all
civilians in our thoughts as well. Above all, let us pray that
diplomatic means will soon replace military action in our efforts to
defeat terrorism.

Especially at this time, I encourage all of our congregations to be a
calming influence in our communities. Our congregations must be
places of peace and prayer.  Christians should treat all people with
dignity and respect, including those who may have a different ethnic
background or religion.  We must promote unity and discourage
division.

As I reflect on the events this month, I recall these familiar words
in Paul's letter to the Philippians: "The peace of God, which
surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in
Christ Jesus."

These are difficult times.  Let us all pray for peace in our world.

The Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

(The ELCA social statement "For Peace in God's World" is posted on
the ELCA Website, http://www.elca.org/dcs/peacein.html )

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund (Sweden), the LWF now has 133
member churches in 73 countries representing over 60.5 million of the
64.3 million Lutherans worldwide. The LWF acts on behalf of its
member churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical
relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights,
communication, and the various aspects of mission and development
work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material
presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of
its various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the
notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with
acknowledgement.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Editor's e-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Articles/EN/LWI