From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

'Listening posts' open at NYC churches

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:09:31 -0500

Oct. 8, 2001   News media contact: Linda Bloom7(212) 870-38037New York
10-21-71B{453}

By Linda Bloom*

NEW YORK (UMNS) - The first of a series of "listening posts" at United
Methodist churches in New York opened Oct. 5 in the area near "ground zero."

The listening posts, or counseling centers, are designed to assist anyone
struggling with the trauma of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The
denomination's New York Annual Conference organized the centers, with
support from the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) and in
cooperation with Church World Service. The centers will be open on a regular
schedule two to three days a week at seven Manhattan churches.

"We're going to go for as long as the need is there," said the Rev. Len
Buxton, a retired New York clergyperson who is coordinating the listening
post program.

Churches involved in the program include John Street, just a few blocks from
the World Trade Center; Metropolitan Duane, Chinese, Washington Square,
Japanese-American and Church of All Nations, all in lower Manhattan; Park
Avenue on the Upper East Side; and the Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew on
the Upper West Side.

Buxton was at John Street, a historic United Methodist church, as the center
there opened from noon to 5 p.m. on Oct. 5. A sandwich board in front of the
church advertised the availability of counseling to the tens of thousands of
people who pass by every day.

People already had been coming to the church to attend its regular Wednesday
noon services or to stop by "just to pray," he noted. Some are leaving with
literature, provided by UMCOR, on topics such as how to deal with grief.
"Being here and available, I think, is a powerful message," he said.

The plan is for those staffing the listening posts to have several levels of
training. Stephen Ministers, who have specialized training in listening and
other helping skills, can provide a compassionate ear. Licensed counselors
or therapists can probe a little deeper and make referrals for long-term
counseling if needed. "One of the things we're prepared to see is persons
who have underlying problems that they've been handling or holding onto ...
and it call comes out full-blown," said Buxton, who formerly worked at
Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn.
.

The Rev. Chuck Ferrara, senior pastor at New Fairfield (Conn.) United
Methodist Church, plans to work at John Street three afternoons a week.
"I'll do this as long as they need me," he told United Methodist News
Service. "I've got the blessing of my church."

Ferrara is using his connections within the New York Police Department to
get the word out about the counseling center and to encourage emergency
workers to use its services. He was still a lieutenant with the police
department when he entered seminary at Drew University in 1985 and retired
from the force the next year to pursue ordination. "I am familiar with
NYPD's operation, particular here down in lower Manhattan," he said.

He expects a positive response. "The city of New York, from the mayor down
to all the department heads ... is seeking anywhere that can lend some help
because of the enormity of this disaster," the former police officer
explained. "I would say they are very receptive."

A Port Authority supervisor, who lost 10 employees in the World Trade Center
collapse, already was scheduled to talk to Ferrara that day. The success of
the listening post, he added, will depend on "word of mouth, some good
publicity, making some good contacts."

The listening posts are just a part of the response to the Sept. 11 tragedy
by the New York Conference, according to the Rev. Chick Straut, who is
coordinating the conference's efforts with UMCOR. "A lot of the stuff we're
doing is ecumenical and interfaith."

The conference is cooperating with the New York State Office of Emergency
Management to organize volunteers to the apartments of people with special
needs who live near ground zero. In addition, Straut said, each district
will have a briefing to provide special training for workers with children
and youth, and pastoral care workshops will be offered to pastors.

Donations to support United Methodist work, in New York and around the
nation, in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks can be designated to
UMCOR Advance No. 901125-3, "Love in the Midst of Tragedy." Checks can be
placed in church collection plates or mailed to UMCOR at 475 Riverside Dr.,
Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Credit-card donations may be made by calling
(800) 554-8583.
# # #
*Bloom is news director of United Methodist News Service's New York

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org